b1driver

Well Known Member
Im new to the forum guys, so If this has already been gone over please let me know where to look. Im planning on building an RV-8 .. got the first step done and ordered the plans this past weekend.. cant wait to see them. Anyway, I noticed that there is a tool box kit that Vans is selling to let dudes get familiar with the different types of skills you'll need for the major project. My question is, does anyone know what tools you'll need for this project. And is there somewhere I can go to maybe buy a small tryout kit?

Luis

The SportAir workshop

Luis,

Welcome to the party! It's encouraging that a B-1 pilot chose an RV as his personal steed...it suggests the rest of us may be on to something!

If you're new to sheet metal work, my suggestion would be to buy nothing until you take a SportAir workshop. Either the "Sheet Metal" or "RV Assembly" workshop will do.

You'll get to use many of the tools you'll end up buying. It's a weekend course in which you'll build a metal assembly (like the Van's practice kit that looks somewhat elevator-like...before they offered the toolbox kit.)

It's about $300, but saved me at least that much in replacement parts I didn't have to buy!

Otherwise, you're looking at about $1000 in tools to build that $25 toolbox...maybe more. I have not yet had the courage to add up how much I've spent on tools so far...and I'm at least 2 years away from flying.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Luis,

Welcome to the party.

I have also just starting (ordering the empennage kit for a 7A this week), so I know how it feels. If you are like me and don't have any nearby workshops like the ones Martin is mentioning, you should probably get the RV Training Kit that Van's sells.

Here's a link to the kit. On that page you will see a link that goes to the list of tools that you need to build the Training Kit. From the 'Required Tools' page it recommends the same set of tools for both the Training Kit and the toolbox. The toolbox wasn't available when I ordered the Training Kit, but it looks like something fun to do.

I bought pretty much everything I have right now from Cleaveland Aircraft. If you are curious on the specific items I got you can find a link to the list in one of my blog entries.

The only thing I shouldn't have bought is the back riveting tools, as I am using a squeezer for pretty much everything.

Hope that helps!

C,
Buy the back riveting tool now so your not waiting for it when you rivet the stiffeners to the rudder and elevator skins.

Steve

Luis,

Good to hear you found us.

If you can't find time to attend one of the classes, get in touch with your local EAA chapter. I'm sure someone there will be more than willing to teach you how to rivet and tell you what tools you need. I've done four or five such "classes" and they have all gone back to their shops and completed the tail w/o any problems.

As for the back riveting tools, you will need those as there are some places the squeezer won't reach.

Go through Dan C's size www.rvproject.com as he has a lot of tips and will give you a good idea of what you are in for.

Best of luck!

Just Squeeze, Mash or Pound Them!

Some folks just start building, I had never seen a rivet before starting to build. I ordered the recommended tool kit figuring they would know what I want, and started building. Not to say that it was not an angst filled processes. Sure would not have hurt to have seen how it was done though. The process is rather simple, squeeze rivet, it expands and fills hole. Pieces joined. Now you have aircraft parts! Bolt aircraft parts together and behold? an aircraft. To see my first rivet, scroll to the bottom of this page.

Just Squeeze, Mash or Pound Them!
Warren

P.S. If they had the toolbox when I started to build I would have ordered it

Thanks alot for the replies. Im glad to see such a support forum out here for dreamers such as myself. Martin, As much as I LOVE flying the B-1b, they wont let me just take the keys and fly over to moms house for the weekend :) . I figure the RV-8 has everything I want in a personal steed hehe... sex appeal and speed..what I live for. Ok, im gonna just take the perverbial plundge and buy all the tools since I've pretty much convinced myself that Im going forward with this. Any sites out there besides barnstormers and tradeaplane that might have used tool kits for RV's for sale. Say someone whos' completed his/her project. Im thinking the weekend course would be a good way to go. Theres a place not far from here that does it over the weekend. Thanks again everyone for helping me out.

Luis

b1driver said:
Martin, As much as I LOVE flying the B-1b, they wont let me just take the keys and fly over to moms house for the weekend :)
Luis

Well, you know what they say...it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Luis

I recomend the Avery Tools, RV Tool kit.
Can't hurt to do the practice kit from Vans. You did not say where you live. Try to find someone who has built RVs and have them get you started. You will save a lot of time if your shop is set up right.
If you are near Fort Worth,Texas come to my shop on Hicks airfield, T67. I will show you around and give some free tips on building.

Steve, good to know the back riveting tools will be used at some point, as they are a bit expensive to sit in my toolbox unused!

Luis, for used tools, you can find some things on Ebay but it's usually the higher dollar items: air drill, rivet squeezer, rivet guns, etc. Take a look, sometimes they have pretty good "kits" which come with a set of accessories.

Otherwise, you can look at places like The Yard (yardstore.com) who refurbishes some tools. I purchased a reconditioned rivet squeezer from them just a couple of weeks ago.

One recommendation I do see a lot is to buy your Dimple Dies from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool (cleavelandtool.com), as they make really high quality dies that (so others say) make a big difference in your dimples.

Most builders don't give up their tools very easily, at least as far as I have seen. Not sure you'll be able to find someone willing to part with their kit but you never know!

I'll second that about the Cleavland dies. I like just about everything else Avery makes, but the Cleavland dies are simply better.