alcladrv

Well Known Member
For those who have built the Vans Tool Box kit, can it be assembled with pulled rivets? I'm thinking of working with my middle school age kids to assemble them.

Thanks

Tool box

Sure. It's not structural.
I would use standard not flush rivets and not mess with dimpling.
The tool box is just an exercise in building processes.

Why not just put screws in it? that would work, or maybe glue it together. The whole purpose of it is to get experience with air plane building work. If you just need a toolbox you can get one cheaper already put together.

Come on Larry, non-structural? Gotta teach the little ones the correct techniques. CherryMax's all the way (one rivet will cost as much as the kit, tho...) ;-)

Absolutely, pulled rivets will work great here, either countersunk (with dimpling) or regular...even Hardware Store ones ...

In all seriousness, though, it's a good test of strength and dexterity using standard rivets. I find the little ones have trouble controlling the gun and bar together; their hand are small and arm strength is low. Even if they concentrate on a single end of the rivet, they still can struggle. My teenage daughters do a good job, but not perfect. When the 20+ somethings come by to help, even the noobs, the firm hand is instantly noticeable and quality improves significantly.

Give the kids a chance on the real deal, then pull out the poppers to get the job done.

I always keep a toolbox kit around as a teaching aid and a lovely parting gift for my riveting partners; it's a great souvenir.

Last edited:
Middle school age kids are very perfectly capable of doing all the hard rivets, countersinking, dimpling, etc. In TeenFlight we have them build the toolbox as the learning/mistake-making project before they put hands on the RV-12 parts. You should not have any issues with middle school age kids and the toolbox with all the hardware and fastener types (and associated tools).

They can do it

My 13 year old son built one with no assistance (other than when he asked me to hold something), and did a great job.

Idea

I always keep a toolbox kit around as a teaching aid and a lovely parting gift for my riveting partners; it's a great souvenir.

What a great idea. That's why they never come back. :eek:
Actually, the one partner that does return, has my rebuilt tool box. We drilled it apart and reassembled it.