greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
This evening, Van's published four service letters for the RV-10 and RV-14/14A, for wing and fuselage kits/aircraft that are assembled with certain laser-cut parts. The engineering solutions described in the service letters provide alternatives to parts replacement, or in some cases provide easier-to-install parts, for use in specific situations. Please refer to the service letters for scope and applicability. These service letters specify intervals for inspection and operation prior to installation of the alternate engineering solutions.

Parts for these engineering solutions are scheduled to be available and to begin shipping in late June.

Note that through the engineering assessment and design process that resulted in the above service letters, several parts were also reclassified as "Acceptable for Use." Please refer to the latest version of the laser cut parts list (VAD-10041 R8) for details.

All of these documents are accessible from the laser cut parts reference library on the Van's website.

The Van's engineering team is currently completing their assessment of the RV-8 fuselage kit and will determine through that process what (if any) parts, hardware, or other changes may be needed for kits that include laser-cut components in the gear towers. We anticipate releasing that information in late June.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg and Van's team! There's a couple part on my fuse kit I was expecting to have to remediate, but now it looks like they are "acceptable for use". Nice!

The wings, though....ughh. Flap hinge bracket replacement requires removing the three inboard wing ribs, and praying you don't elongate the rear spar holes when you remove them.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg and Van's team! There's a couple part on my fuse kit I was expecting to have to remediate, but now it looks like they are "acceptable for use". Nice!

The wings, though....ughh. Flap hinge bracket replacement requires removing the three inboard wing ribs, and praying you don't elongate the rear spar holes when you remove them.

Ideally this helps minimize the praying required!

1718733602819.png

Will it be a couple of days before the service letter kits are available in the web store? I checked today and no search results..

Will it be a couple of days before the service letter kits are available in the web store? I checked today and no search results..
Yes, they will become available later in June. That was mentioned in the video update - but I should have included that in the original post here, as well.

If you have to pull the wings off at 1,000 hours, I predict that in about 10 years there will be a whole bunch of 800 hour TT RV14's for sale

If you have to pull the wings off at 1,000 hours, I predict that in about 10 years there will be a whole bunch of 800 hour TT RV14's for sale
I’m considering doing SL-00092 on a flying 14A. Anyone willing to estimate the time that it will take? Anyone willing to do this for me and at what cost?

Also, SL-00100 calls for CR3214-5-2 rivets if needed in lieu of AN426AD4-5, however neither Van's or Aircraft Spruce recognize that part number. I'm guessing the plans are in error as the replacement for the adjacent part with the same 426 rivet calls for CR3213-4-2. Just trying to get my Aircraft Spruce order together so I'm not delayed more than necessary.