I see that Van refers to an accident with an RV10.

This is a clear example of a statistic that SHOULD NOT be considered an A-B Experimental prang. That was a straight out GA prang.

Had they been in a G1000 equipped G36 Bonanza it is quite likely the same thing would have happened.

I have been critical of the way folk view statistics many times before and it is because of this we have false perceptions that become OWT's.

This is a classic case of "Confusing Ambition with Ability". Did anyone see the video of the Strikemaster crash.... another one.

I cringe at reading these things......
The pilot never declared an emergency, but at some point it might have begun to strike the controller that all was not well aboard the RV-10. As the course and altitude deviations multiply, it becomes increasingly apparent that this flight is a special case. Either a noninstrument pilot who is faking it has gotten in over his head, or a pilot who is qualified and equipped as required is somehow hampered in his execution of what should be simple maneuvers.

The pilot’s indecision, his requests first for an airport with an ILS and then for one where the ceiling was 2,000 feet or better, and his failure to explain to the controller what was going on all suggested a potentially precarious situation. The pilot is having trouble controlling the airplane, and he is grasping at anything that might simplify an instrument approach — which, with a 1,000-foot ceiling, should not be a challenging approach to begin with. He needs help.

IFR and in single pilot IFR ops is a serious business. In cloud with the A/P off and below the MSA is no plpace to be fiddle farting around trying to find "some other way". I know for many I am preaching to the converted, but seriously what were they thinking????

{text removed - point remains} If I ever do something that stupid and spear in I want the harsh reality spoken about, I will not be offended.

This prang is not a A-B / Experimental accident.

DB:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: