irishrv

I'm New Here
I am building an RV7A (200hp lycoming engine, constant speed) and its getting near the time to buy a prop. I have been looking into MT, Prince, Catto , Sensenich and Hartzell, all seem to have good and bad points but im wonering what anybody would suggest. I also live in Ireland and it rains just about every day

Last edited:
Hartzell Blended Airfoil - 7497

I may be biased, but this prop is smooth, one of the fastest if not THE fastest and no problems with rain. I'm pretty sure there are NO RPM restrictions with the 200 HP engine either. I have the -7496 blades and would do it again in a minute. Strong climb, fast speed, very efficient on fuel and really smooth. Van's gives a great deal on this prop.

Dittos on the Hartzell BA. I also had the 7496 blades on a 180 HP Lycoming A1A. I easily exceeded climb and cruise numbers. Awesome prop and it is SMOOTH!!

Roberta

Propellers and Rain

I am building an RV7A (200hp lycoming engine, constant speed) and its getting near the time to buy a prop. I have been looking into MT, Prince, Catto , Sensenich and Hartzell, all seem to have good and bad points but im wonering what anybody would suggest. I also live in Ireland and it rains just about every day

With the rain, you'll need a metal leading edge. Rain will beat the resin out of the edging edge of a composite edging edge on a wood propeller.

So MT Propeller, Hartzell and the metal Sensenich are still in.

For the three propellers, rain will erode the top coat of the paint off of the leading edge of the blades.

For wet environments like Bavaria, MT Propeller recommends a Dull Gray blade with Gloss White tips. As the top coat is eroded off with time, it exposes the gray primer underneath.

Do you know Andrew Butler in Galway, Ireland? He has a 3 blade MT Propeller for his aircraft.

Regards,
Jim Ayers
www.ca-propeller.com