RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
On the home page:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/RV-12/April_09_RV12_update.pdf

Extract:
THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE
Now it?s a race to see if the Avionics Kit or the Powerplant Kit will be the next to ship. Avionics for the RV-
12 include:
? Dynon 180 EFIS for both engine and flight instruments
? Garmin 2/3/496 GPS (builders choice)
? Garmin SL-40 comm radio
? Garmin GTX-327 transponder
? Flightcom intercom
? Artex 406 ELT
? Dual EFIS and autopilot options are under development.

Given that the standard package includes a D180, I wonder if the Duel EFIS options are then 2xD180 or (1xD100 Linked to 1xD120) to give the same duel screen result at a cheaper price.

Llinked D100 & D120 can exhance screen information between each other so each one can look like the other or a even a D180 for that matter). (Redundancy exlcuded). Thats the way I did it on my RV7.

Rudi

OK I can answer my own question, Vans replied to me...

The Dual screen option will give you a D100 extra.
So it means you'll have the standard kit issued D180 on the left with a D100 on the right. (This will give you redundant EFIS functionality, but not EMS, and is slightly more expensive than a D100 & D120 combo, but I think they are seeing it more as an addon to the D180 instead of a from scratch duel screen option, cuase then some of the wiring and plans will have to change for the left screen too)

Regards
Rudi

New member to VAF with idea about dual EFIS

Hi. I am builder 120052 awaiting delivery of my finish kit. I intend to install the dual EFIS option for a couple of reasons. First because I would like to have dedicated engine instruments. Second, so that I can teach my kids with some instrumentation in front of them in the right seat. The ideal (for me) location for the D180 would be on the right with the D100 on the left. Then I could set up the D180 with the engine, even if only split screen, over on the right side and the D100 right in front of me with a full screen EFIS. I ran this by Ken Scott today at Vans to see if they could make this possible in the option kit. He said he would run it by engineering.

Last edited:
Hi. I am builder 120052 awaiting delivery of my finish kit. I intend to install the dual EFIS option for a couple of reasons. First because I would like to have dedicated engine instruments. Second, so that I can teach my kids with some instrumentation in front of them in the right seat. The ideal (for me) location for the D180 would be on the right with the D100 on the left. Then I could set up the D180 with the engine, even if only split screen, over on the right side and the D100 right in front of me with a full screen EFIS. I ran this by Ken Scott today at Vans to see if they could make this possible in the option kit. He said he would run it by engineering.

I think you can link the D180 to a D100 as well, and you can set both up to display any screen format you want. This then means it doesn't matter wich side the D180 or D100 is you can get the same screens on each side.

I know my D100 and D120 installation in my RV7 works that way, and the only way to distinguise between the two is to read the model number printed on it.

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Linking

I think you can link the D180 to a D100 as well, and you can set both up to display any screen format you want. This then means it doesn't matter wich side the D180 or D100 is you can get the same screens on each side.

I know my D100 and D120 installation in my RV7 works that way, and the only way to distinguise between the two is to read the model number printed on it.

Regards
Rudi

I hope you are correct Rudi, and you probably are. Sometimes some of the people at Vans are not as up to speed as they could be or they would have told me this when I talked to them. I just assumed that since the D100 was EFIS only that it wouldn't display any EMS and Dynon's web site didn't explain the linking anywhere that I looked. But maybe I missed something.
Thanks,
Larry