prkaye

Well Known Member
Could Vans have made mistakes in specifying rivet lengths? In particular, in places on the rudder skeleton, where reinforcing plates are riveted to the spar, some rivets go through a platenut, while others do not. For all these, the plans specify the same rivet length. However, the base of the platenut has considerable thickness, and I find the rivets through the platenuts come up way way too short. So I've been using longer rivets in these places (e.g. use AD4-8 rivets through platenuts instead of the AD4-7 called for).
I just want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong...

I don't know about the 9 rudder specifically, but there are numerous places in Van's plans of rivet call outs that are too long/ short. If the -8 works then use it and move on.

Yeah, use the rivet that looks best for the location. I consider the plans spec on rivets to just be a pretty good guide. Sometimes a rivet cutter is really nice to have for some of the more critical rivets where size A is too short and size B it too long.

darn, I just looked again, even the 8 rivets aren't long enough for those two. I guess I need 9's. Unfortunately Vans didn't supply any 9's with the kit, so I'm stuck for a week until they can send some out!! ARG!

Actually, is Vans the best source for aircraft rivets??

Phil,

It is very useful to buy a quantity of long rivets in 3/32 and 1/8 diameters, both AN470 and AN426, and a rivet cutter. Then you can cut them down to what ever length you need when you get in these situations. I'm on the road now, but should arrive home on Monday, probably late afternoon, or early evening. If you want, I can give you a small quantity of longer rivets, plus loan my rivet cutter to keep you moving. If you are interested, you can come by my place Monday evening, or sometime this week.

As far as suppliers - Van is OK, but they tend to be slow to ship. Wicks is quicker. The Ottawa flying club has a small stock of commonly used hardware, and their maintenance guy will sell it to you, if you talk to him nicely. They can also order stuff, and have it arrive in a day or two. Their prices are higher than Wicks or Vans, but you don't pay for shipping, and it is much quicker, so they are a useful source if you are in a rush, or only have a short list of stuff you need.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin! That would be great... and I'd love to see your project.
Monday night should be fine, as long as my wife gets back from Toronto with the car... please email me your address.

prkaye said:
Could Vans have made mistakes in specifying rivet lengths? In particular, in places on the rudder skeleton, where reinforcing plates are riveted to the spar, some rivets go through a platenut, while others do not. For all these, the plans specify the same rivet length. However, the base of the platenut has considerable thickness, and I find the rivets through the platenuts come up way way too short. So I've been using longer rivets in these places (e.g. use AD4-8 rivets through platenuts instead of the AD4-7 called for).
I just want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong...
Of course you are never wrong to use the correct length rivet if the callout is wrong but my plans call for -8 in that place. Drawing 7, Left Side View, located lower left side of that view. It is the fourth line of the set calling out the rod end bearing, the jam nut, the platenut and 2x AN470AD4-8 rivets.
My plans are from 2003, though so maybe things have changed.

-mike

Rudder Platenut rivets

The rivets for the upper two platenuts on the -9 rudder are AD4-6 as stated on Dwg 7, Left side view, near bearing callout. Took me a while to find that one also.

-Alan
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH