DSmith

Well Known Member
Patron
Vans says the opening is smaller and some gas nozzles may not fit in. Has this been a problem for any of you that have these gas caps? Are you glad you bought them?
Danny

Not a problem for me and am glad I have them, don't have to worry about having a cap handle break off somewhere causing a problem.

Glenn Wilkinson

Van's caps look to be the same as the Andair locking fuel caps. I installed the Andair ones and I'm glad I did.

It would have to be one heck of a big fuel nozzle to not fit in the slightly smaller opening.

Might be an occasional problem...

I ran into a pump with a large diameter nozzle on a cross country trip a couple weeks ago. It barely fit into my standard tank opening, and would never fit with the locking cap mod. I think it is a very rare thing but it is out there.
I dont think it is a deal breaker as you could always hold the nozzle above the opening and with some care and time get it filled up.

Some don't like

My Flying Buddy has them and doesn't like them at all.
He has the retro-fit ones that go inside the original ones.
The hole is too small to watch the fuel fill up!
I'm sure the nozzel fits fine but you can't see the fuel level comming up as you fill. He also dreams about losing his key too....while traveling.:eek:
Not trying to be negative here as the locking ability is a good thing, just wanted to point out the other side. Maybe Bill will chime in here from the owners view.

I'm sure the nozzel fits fine but you can't see the fuel level comming up as you fill.

This has been my experience too. With larger nozzels, which I seem to run into all time, I can't see the fuel level coming up. Also, mine leak through the key hole. I even had the company send me a replacement and it leaks too. Mine are the retro fittable ones, and once they're in, that's it, you're stuck with them. I flew for a few years prior to installing them, and now wish I'd left well enough alone. Just my experience. I know some love them.

My Flying Buddy has them and doesn't like them at all.
He has the retro-fit ones that go inside the original ones.
I'm sure the nozzel fits fine but you can't see the fuel level comming up as you fill. He also dreams about losing his key too....while traveling.:eek:
Not trying to be negative here as the locking ability is a good thing, just wanted to point out the other side. Maybe Bill will chime in here from the owners view.

I am Bob's flying buddy with the locking gas caps and will give you my opinion.

I would say if your airplane sits outside a lot on trips or at home then I would say they are a good thing, tampering, theft etc. For the type of flying I do if I could take them off I would. I basically fly for food (200.00 dollar hamburg) haven't flown an overnight since I picked it up in PHX 1 1/2 yrs ago.

The nozzel does fit but seeing the fuel come up is difficult until the very top (ooooops ):)

The lost key is a consideration, always carry a spare just in case.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. I was worried more about the broken hinge pins then I was about stolen fuel or water from sitting out in the rain since I have a hangar.
Danny

I put the ones from van's in mine and have been very happy with them. They do look much better and I've never had an issue with filling the tanks with them. I decided to give them a try after flying home with a "speed tape fuel cap" after forgeting to latch the cap one day. When you take the cap off with the Key you cannot install it without locking it unless you leave the key in it which I like.
Did I mention they look much nicer :D

I would say if your airplane sits outside a lot on trips or at home then I would say they are a good thing, tampering, theft etc.
Bill

Bill got to my central question regarding lockable fuel caps: How big a problem are we facing here? Are the members of this fine forum experiencing tampering and theft at a level that necessitates lockable fuel caps? Or is this a precaution that brings about peace of mind?

Scroll

as with cars, if the nozzle doesn't fit, it may be the wrong fuel....double check that

diesel is larger for a reason, jeta is larger for a raeson, etc.

Just to be clear, locking caps may not prevent fuel theft. Any seasoned thief will simply remove the fuel drains and let the fuel run into a bucket. Although the fact that locking caps are installed may confuse the half-wit thief to find an easier target.:rolleyes:

What they will do is prevent anyone from introducing something into your tank...

related maintenance question

My Andairs are getting stiff and difficult to unlock. What's the recommended lube for the internals?