pboed

Greetings,

Just a few weeks ago there were options to select IFR equipment on Van's aircraft cost estimator, but no more.

Has Van's changed their mind about whether their planes should be built IFR capable? Or perhaps they just didn't want to publish a guess at something that has so much variance in cost. Does anybody know why the change?

Best Regards,
Paul

PS I'm considering building an RV; currently flying an SR22 and Super Decathlon.

Cal them and ask

Likely you will not get a straight answer. Liability? Van has never really imbraced IFR/IMC flying in the "Total Performance" at least pre RV-10. I am not saying they said it should not be done, but have you seen an IFR RV factory demo plane? Van is an ATP, so that is not the reason.

I called Van's and it was a straight answer

After I read the original post, instead of speculating more (not that I even care why they removed the "IFR" button thing, but more out of couriosity) I called Van's and asked why. First thing spoken was that Van's has never advocatd or encouraged IFR flight in the RV, so no "minds" were changed. Secondly, as to precisely why they removed the IFR button on the cost estimator was because some folks were getting upset at the actual cost of their avionics compared to what the estimator was telling them it would cost.

Tobin

For the SR22 Pilot

If you are expecting to make a seamless transfer from IFR in a certified airplane to IFR in an RV you are in for a disappointment. I flew my RV-6A single pilot IFR for a few hours without an autopilot and it was a demanding task. Since I have installed a TruTrac system (Pictorial Pilot for course control and Altrac for altitude hold) things are much better but the work load in the terminal phase can get demanding.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Not Bad

tobinbasford said:
After I read the original post, instead of speculating more (not that I even care why they removed the "IFR" button thing, but more out of couriosity) I called Van's and asked why. Tobin
Liability? Van has never really imbraced IFR/IMC flying in the "Total Performance" at least pre RV-10." Not bad for speculating. I am surprised they gave you such a straight answer; you got a hold of the right person. G