wirejock

Well Known Member
This may belong in Classifieds. Moderators, please move if you choose.

I ordered my prop last week. Four months. 140 builders ahead of me. Oh bother.
Im going to be ready before that and sitting inside making airplane noises. Oh well. Transition training is needed anyway.

Just a thought. If anyone has one higher in the que and don't need it in the next four months, I would appreciate it if you could call Matthew @ Vans (see below) and let him know he can transfer it to me. I don't want anyone inconvenienced. This is intended for someone who thought they would be installing it, but plans changed. I don't actually know it will work. I assume it will drop the person down to the end of the four month que so it's probably best if it's someone who doesn't need it for four months or more. Just an idea. Matthew mentioned something like it in our conversation.

I want it from Hartzel/Vans. No secondary purchase.

Hartzel C2YR-1BFP/7497

MATTHEW TAYLOR BOONE
Engine & Prop Coordinator
Kit Sales, Van’s Aircraft, Inc.
[email protected]
(503) 678-6545 option 2

Last edited:
Feast or famine. When I bought my engine/prop combo from Vans in 2021 you had to take delivery of the prop when it was ready and the lead time was 8 weeks. Mine stayed in the living room for months.

Good luck. Even if you have to wait it goes pretty fast after that. It was less than 30 days from the time I bolted on the prop till i had the AWC and I wasn’t hurrying.

Attachments

• 63997327235__A7FD46D0-E5F7-4F38-BD2D-8DA7E61B0032.jpg
    63997327235__A7FD46D0-E5F7-4F38-BD2D-8DA7E61B0032.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
If anyone has one higher in the que and don't need it in the next four months, I would appreciate it if you could call Matthew @ Vans (see below) and let him know he can transfer it to me.

I made final payment on my prop (same 74" Hartzell model you're looking for) three weeks ago but I won't need it for another year. I'm not sure if my name can be dropped down the list at this point as it may be too late but I did contact Mathew and asked him. I'll let you know what he says.

UPDATE:
Just heard from Mathew. He said:
"We cannot swap people’s places in line."

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Last edited:
Prop

I made final payment on my prop (same 74" Hartzell model you're looking for) three weeks ago but I won't need it for another year. I'm not sure if my name can be dropped down the list at this point as it may be too late but I did contact Mathew and asked him. I'll let you know what he says.

UPDATE:
Just heard from Mathew. He said:
"We cannot swap people’s places in line."

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Oh Bother!
Thanks for trying though.
What's really sad is someone else posted a prop that will be sitting in a box. I need a prop but they won't do some key entry to swap spots and help both builders. One gets a prop. The other drops back a bit and maybe saves a box sitting till the prop hits a 2 year storage TBO.
Sad.

Last edited:
Mathew told me they are bound by Hartzell's OEM policy. Nothing really Vans can do about it.

Prop

Mathew told me they are bound by Hartzell's OEM policy. Nothing really Vans can do about it.

Sorry Brian. I wasn't referring to you.
Someone else posted about long term storage of a prop. My post was an indirect reference to their posting.

There's a 2 year TBO on storage. Thats why I waited. Also why I want one from the factory.
Last time I called, Vans told me six weeks. Well, I'm about six weeks from needing it. Now they say it's four months. Hartzel has production delays just like everyone else. I just wish I had been more proactive with calling. They must have at least one computer that could easily change a name on a prop serial number.
It's good to be King! Till someone else is King!
Oh Bother. At least I can get lots of transition training.

Sorry Brian. I wasn't referring to you.

Oh, I know.

In order to take advantage of the sale price on the Thunderbolt engine, I had to order all kits plus the prop. When I ordered the prop in late April the estimated lead time was four months so they are right on schedule for my order.

Good luck!

Warranty

Any reason you can’t just “swap” delivery addresses?

It still comes down to the database. The name attached to the serial number. Probably an FAA thing. Got forbid something happen, they have to have a chain of provenance.
We live is a world of artificial intelligence and they can't punch a few computer buttons.
I have a copy of Windows 3.1 they can install!

Rocket Flyer here in Florida was just quoted two weeks for a WW prop. Just a thought. Not like the product is an unknown at this point. You’ve probably seen the reviews here.

Side note = it’s always good to support the market disrupters when it makes sense. Without them, ridiculous prices become even more so. Of course, you have to do right by you.

Order a Whirlwind and don't look back. Those guys rock.

IMHO, Van's should add them to their co-bundle list.

Call Carlos at WW and explore your options. The weights of their “beefier” designs for high compression (and other) engines align closely with others in the market. Options are always helpful.