I did get the harness and it would be cool if I were building Vans airplane but I'm building Jims airplane so it's not quite nice. Van likes ring terminals and I like fast ons so all the terminals are being cut off and replaced. A couple of wire runs I'm using don't need to be their supplied gauge size, that's not a killer but in my case using their supplied wire is a few gauge overkill. Also my routing is totally different from their's so I'm cutting all the bundles apart and pulling out what works. At least it's a good grade of wire although I've replaced the 8 awg main battery to master buss wire with a 6 awg piece of welding wire. Had I been on my mark I'd have replaced the 2 awg starter solenoid to starter motor with a piece of 2 awg welders wire also. Other than that Vans wiring kit is great!

Last edited:
Wiring Harness

I rolled my own. I had a lot more time than I had money. Crimping terminals is easily learned. The whole process can be a rewarding experience.

Besides.......wiring is really easy........a wire only has two ends!;)

Seriously, it can be fun and you can save money. Try a few short runs and if you really think you can't handle it, go another route.

But like Rivethead said, Van's plane and your plane "aint the same" so you may end up sorta "rolling your own" anyway, just more costly.

I'm using the labeled Van's wire from the harness... time saved labeling, you get plenty of wire for a VFR plane and the wire quality is good. The sizing is on spot in most places. I feel it's a good value just on wire.

It appears to me that the Van's wiring harness is designed for the Van's pre-punched panel and installing just the equipment Van's lists.

I did buy their wiring harness but cut it apart and used a lot of the wires. The best part were all the big wires, grounding strap, etc. the kit included. Even then, I found myself buying more wire.

The next time around, I'm not sure I would bother but then again, maybe I would.

From what I've heard here, I think I'm going to roll my own. I certainly appreciate the feedback!

Big heavies are nice

I bought it and ended up cutting everything down to fit EXCEPT for some of the 2 gauge wires and the battery strap. Still bought more.

To do over again - Buy the big 2 gauge in the proper lengths, buy the battery strap, and roll your own for everything else.

btw - if you are putting in an autopilot, Steinair has some excellent 7 strand, multicolor servo wire.

The Digitrak doesn't have a pitch servo...the Altrak or Digiflight II (and up) does.

Only if your A/P has "VS" capability (read trim sensing servo) do you need the extra wire.

Just trying to keep things clear should someone search this thread later!

Cheers,
Stein