aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
I am finishing up the practice kit that Van's sells - the airfoil project. I am to the point where I need to set some tight rivets - the plans call for making a bucking bar out of mild steel - but I was wondering if anyone had done this a different way? Is there an easier way to do this that may help me down the road as well?

Thanks for any advice. :)

No sweat. For what it's worth, IMO that kit (if it is still not pre-punched) is way harder than working on the real thing. So, if you feel confident after working on the practice kit, you'll be good-to-go on any RV-- get that tail kit ordered! :D

It actually is pre-punched, but I've been reading through my preview plans and I think there is more detail in those instructions than in the practice kit. :p

Thanks again!

60 Degree Rivet Set

I've tried at least half-a-dozen ways of riveting in tight spaces and by far the easiest and best results (for me) is backriveting with my modified 60 degree rivet set. The only thing I have to be careful of is keeping the bottom of the set parallel with the back rivet plate so the heel of the set doesn't ding my back rivet plate.

I modified this one on my grinder. Got it off that giant auction site for $2 + $5 shipping!

DSC00730.JPG

Last edited:
tape

in those tight areas like that we also used tape to hold the rivets in place.
I agree with auburntsts. get the tail kit. be realistic about how long its going to take to complete the kit. we are in our 6th year with probably another year to go. but we also haven't been on it full time. my advice is to use all the resourses at your disposal. read the forums here and look at other peoples build sites. we have picked up alot of helpfull tricks and tips when you get frustrated and stumped.
good luck
-K-

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes - the tail kit is around the corner. I'm playing around with this practice kit so I can make the mistakes there, but I have read many builder sites and it seems that the tail kit may be easier in many cases than these practice kits. :rolleyes:

OK... so I've tried the technique as shown in the EAA videos, but am not having much luck. I don't think I have the right type of steel...

Where does everyone else come up with their steel? In the video, he is using what is essentially a "mini" back riveting plate. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far!

Vice grips' jaws...

...can also be ground down smooth and the thickness of the jaw that goes into the tight place ground down. Then you simply squeeze the rivet.

Regards,

crowbar works as well

Using the indirect method that is...

I haven't watched the EAA videos in a while but I think they cover that...

......and some times it's best to contact Van's to check with them as to which blind rivets could be used. I have used some blind rivets in places that I knew I was going to bugger up the parts by trying to force a "Bar" into a very tight area.

Just another possible option.

Robert,

Thanks for the idea... I just flew with a gentleman here in Cedar Rapids (RV-7A) and be brought up your blind rivet idea as well. Seems this might be a decent approach, too.

I haven't had great results with the indirect method shown on the EAA videos.. I don't have as much room as the guy in the video does, so maybe that is part of that problem.

Hmm.... :confused: Keep on keepin' on I guess. :eek:) It's just practice..

Geek,

Call Bob Avery (Avery Tools) and get the # to B&B fasteners. They can set you up with these blind flush rivets. You can always cover them up with filler later. Good luck!

Casey
I use the WALLEY BAR from Avery. Its made of tungston very dense steel and it will set you back $135 BUT YOU CAN BUILD THE WHOLE 9a WITH THAT BAR. i THINK IF YOU GO TO aVERY TOOLS IT SHOULD BE LISTED. iF ITS TO MUCH FOR YOU SEE IF CAN GET t-6 STEEL ITS PRETTY STRONG AND SHOULDN'T MARR. I TOOK THE SYNERGY CLASS WITH Wally Anderson in Eugene Oregon and built the whole tail section in one week! but you have to have the Saturday class with the VANS test kit first before you can enroll in the tail class. I used several plain steel bucking bars the first 4 days and then they introduced me to the tungston bar. after 15 minutes I asked why didn't you give me this bar the first day and they said it was out of the shop! Once you try the tungston bar you'll never go back to regular steel. Ron 9A