prkaye

Well Known Member
For Vans pre-fab fuel pickup tube, does anybody know if the AN nut comes pre-drilled for the safety wire (as per the service bulletin) ?

Thanks!

Phil

If you're talking about the flop tube, the answer is yes. At least the ones I bought came like that. Nice surprise.

The standard Van's pickup tube (with the wire mesh screen Prosealed on the end) is pre-drilled per the service bulletin.

For Vans pre-fab fuel pickup tube, does anybody know if the AN nut comes pre-drilled for the safety wire.....
Yes it does.....but used with the anti-rotation bracket, the pre-drilled nut is a moot point.
ft03413lo6.jpg

Like Rick said, the nut does come pre drilled but if you have the newer kit, it comes with this anti rotation bracket that he posted a picture of. You do not have to use the wire with that.

Rick you are taking "protecting the area from excess proseal" to a whole new level! :D

Last edited:
Ah, thanks! I do have that new type of anti-rotation bracket, and it did seem to me that the safety wire on top of that was overkill... good to know I was right.

Another thing that occurred to me is that with that anti-rotation bracket, it will be impossible to remove the pickup tube for service without drilling the rivets out and removing the bracket. Is this correct? Also, is it a pain to rivet that bracket on with the nut already in place? This is the only way I can see to do it.

Thanks again.
Phil

You are correct, this is a one time thing. I would hope to never have to service this tube in my lifetime. Digging the proseal off of everything would be way worse than drilling out two rivets.

Anyway.. I set these rivets with a pneumatic squeezer, 4" no hole yoke and a small diameter long flat set. It just cleared everything and set the rivets.

You could buck them with a bar that has a tappered foot but it would jump around unless you clamped it good.

Vans calles out two -4 rivets but I used -3 because -4 is way overkill for this application and -3 was easier to set in those tight quarters.

torque

My torque wrench is of the socket-type. How can I torque the AN nut on the pickup tube? I won't be able to get the socket over it because the tube will be in the way.

You will need a crow's foot adapter. Just be sure to read about how to calculate its effect on the torque. A crow's foot is basically an open end wrench that fits on your normal square socket mount on your wrench.

My 7A has the anti-rotational brackets, but they are drilled round and only go over the fitting and not the AN nut. The style I have (circa 2003) allow the nut to be turned and tube removed and should be wired. I wonder when the change occurred. Was this done after Van's SB?

Roberta