f14av8r

Well Known Member
I'm replacing the Concorde battery in my RV-4 with an Odyssey PC680. While trying to figure out how to best adapt the large, existing Concorde battery box to the PC680, I ran across a number of VAF discussions about the kit offered in the Vans Accessory Catalog - Part Number PC680 INSTALL KIT. Most of the VAF folks chose not to use the kit - fabricating their own - or it came with their airplane kit. As a new, non-builder owner though, I thought it might be a quick and easy way to properly mount the new battery.

The problem was, as much as I looked, I couldn't find much information about the kit. I couldn't find a single photo or illustration anywhere. So, I'm posting it here for posterity sake.

The kit is intended to mount the battery on a vertical surface - the firewall in most applications. But, at least parts of the kit appear useful for use in other possible locations / orientations. I still haven't figured out how useful the kit will be to me and, for $50 it's probably a gold-plated fix to my problem. But, it does have some nice parts and the box alone is much nicer than anything I could fabricate. So, I may have to adapt it a bit to fit the space in my RV-4 but I think it will help me get the battery properly secured better and faster.

I sincerely hope I'm not violating any Van's copyright rules or VAF rules by posting these photos. That's not my intent. It's just that Van's doesn't offer a photo of the kit or provide a useful description of the included parts.

Enjoy,
Randy
Kit Parts
Kit%20Parts_zpsflinanku.jpg

Drawing
Drawing_zpserjoxdeb.jpg

Parts List
Parts%20List_zpskulwutmi.jpg

One of the few mods I did was to cut the battery box and install hinges along the front corners so that the battery can be removed by removing the hinge pins and pulling it out forward instead of upward. Well worth the time on a crowded firewall.

Erich

One of the few mods I did was to cut the battery box and install hinges along the front corners so that the battery can be removed by removing the hinge pins and pulling it out forward instead of upward. Well worth the time on a crowded firewall.

Erich
Wow, what a great idea. If I lay the battery flat on my floorboard in the -4 that will make it much easier to remove.
Thanks Erich!