Steve A

Well Known Member
I saw in Van's Accessory Catalog a Oil Filter Extension that tilts 45 degrees
obviously to make oil changes easier. Has anyone used this on a OI 360 180 hp and is it worth the 250 bucks? I again assume this prevents oil from dripping down the back side of the engine.

RV 7A Finishing
Louisiana

Steve,
I believe it's 90 degrees, not 45.

My Mattituck-built IO-360 came with one of these. The engine is not installed yet so I have no operational experience to pass on.

I have read though that the trick with these when changing the oil is to punch a small hole in the top of the oil filter just before you drain the oil. This lets air into the filter and thus lets the oil run out of the filter back into the engine.

Atleast this is how I am hoping it will work out. If anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful to hear from them.

Steve Hutt
UK

Van's oil filter adapter

I have the filter angle adapter on my -9A, O-360. I bought it direct from Casper Labs in FL, I understand they are the supplier for Vans. I like it very much and it makes removing the filter virtually spill proof. However, it does require you punch a hole in the top of the filter and let it drain. My technique is to punch the hole then drain the oil pan, giving the filter 10 minutes or so to drain. I then wrap a rag around the base of the filter to catch any residual oil around the rubber seal. Incidently, as I have posted earlier, the preferred filter for the Casper Labs angle adapter is the K&N HP 1002 supplied under contract by Champion Filters using the same materials as in their aircraft line. It even has the provision for the safety wire. Dan