DSmith

Well Known Member
Patron
Vans catalog shows an oil cooler that they say is a Steward Warner type oil cooler. I know many of you have used Van's FWF kits which use this cooler.

What brand is the cooler? Is it a S-W? If not what do you think of the quality?

Thanks,
Danny Smith

SW "style"

My understanding it is a SW type - not a real SW. Based on recommendations that I've received I will use a real SW 8406R since most of my flying will be in warm climates.

If you haven't already, take a look at Dan Checkoway's site http://www.rvproject.com/20040519.html

He's got a pretty good comparison of what you get from Van's and Stewart Warner. I bought the real S-W and it's extremely well made, but it costs twice as much. In my opinion you get what you pay for, but there are a lot of people out there flying with the one Van's sells and it's working just fine for them at half the cost.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

It's not a true SW

I just had to replace my Vans oil cooler with a real SW for high oil temp reasons. It cured the problem. The quality on the Vans unit is just not there IMHO.

If I did it again I would order one of the Positech oil coolers listed in Vans catalog. If money is not a concern, go with the SW. My two cents.

DSmith said:
Vans catalog shows an oil cooler that they say is a Steward Warner type oil cooler. I know many of you have used Van's FWF kits which use this cooler.

What brand is the cooler? Is it a S-W? If not what do you think of the quality?

Thanks,
Danny Smith

As I mentioned on another thread, the coolers Vans sells are el cheapo vacuum brazed units. It is ridiculous and misleading for Vans to describe them as "Stewart Warner type".

Stewart Warner coolers are fully welded...and they're more efficient....and they're twice the price. As others have pointed out...you get what you pay for.

Personally I wouldn't go cheap on an item that all the engine oil goes through.

Thanks for the replies. It's just I suspected. As was stated, you get what you pay for - at least most of the time. I think I'll go with the folks at Pacific Oil Coolers and the S-W.

Danny

good info

DSmith said:
Thanks for the replies. It's just I suspected. As was stated, you get what you pay for - at least most of the time. I think I'll go with the folks at Pacific Oil Coolers and the S-W. Danny
Good plan, you will be happy.

Add another data point... I ditched my Van's stock oil cooler and went with the true Stewart Warner. You'll be glad you did. My temps dropped at least 15F and now I'm right where I should be. Got mine from Spruce because Pacific Oil Cooler didn't have them in stock. Spruce matched the price from Chief Aircraft and I had it next day (since Spruce is in the same town as me).

I used the big Positech that Van's sells and recommends for the IO-360. I love it. It is firewall mounted and my oil temps never go over 200. I know others have had real problems with it but its perfect for me.

Karl

RV8N said:
I used the big Positech that Van's sells and recommends for the IO-360. I love it. It is firewall mounted and my oil temps never go over 200. I know others have had real problems with it but its perfect for me.

Karl
Angle valve or parallel valve?

I've only got 24 hours on it but Van's stock oil cooler mounted in the stock location has worked great on my (Parallel valve) XP-360. I've never seen oil temp above 190 deg.

Jim
7A

I've been flying my 7A with a Lycoming 0-360 A1A for over three years with no problems using Van's oil cooler. Keeps my Lyc cooled down just fine.

Roberta

It's a **** shoot

High oil temps seem to be like the RV wheel shimmy. Some folks have a problem, some folks don?t.

I would have loved for my Van?s cooler to work but it didn?t so I had to pony up the bucks a second time for the SW cooler. Do you know that your plane is going to run cool? Why take the chance? It is MUCH easier to deal with low oil temp. Personally though, I would go with the Positech unit and save a few bucks over the SW and still end up with a better cooler.

There was also a question about quality of the SW unit vs the Vans unit (not to be confused with performance). The SW cooler is better made, hands down. Good luck.