tlpopp

Patron
Does Van's oil cooler shutter come with any installation directions? I purchased a used one from someone a while back and no directions came with it. The installation looks pretty straight forward. I've searched the posts and picked up a few tips but was just wondering if there were any basic directions I was missing before I jumped in.

Tim Popp
RV-7 - Flying

Shutter

There were directions when I got mine but I have no clue where they are. The shutter is installed between the baffle and oil cooler. I mounted mine with the arm down so as not to interfere with the cowl. Place 2 washers between the shutter, cowl and the shutter, oil cooler which will help make sure nothing binds. I had to order longer bolts from spruce as the shutter will take up a bit of space.

I placed the control next to my heater control and it works perfect - as advertised. I can change the oil temp. 30-40 degrees depending on how it is adjusted. Great for warming up oil getting ready for takeoff or keeping it warm in cold weather.:cool:

shutter

Thanks guys. Do the directions have you remove the lip from the rear of the baffle around the oil cooler opening so that the shutter will fit flush to the aft side of the baffle between it and the oil cooler or do you just stand the shutter off that distance and use something to fill that gap?

Tim
RV-7

Oil too hot?

I installed one of these this winter and it works great after i put the washers between it and the baffling. Just wondering, since when it is at open position, it cuts off maybe 25% of the oil cooler, I wonder if it will be too much in the summer here in Virginia?

Anyone see temps getting too hot in the summer with this shutter installed?

Summer

I take mine off from about April/May - September.

I removed the part of the baffle that has that curved back flange and mounted it to the front of the oil cooler. I then place the shutter in frt of that flange. When the shutter is not installed I just add a couple washers under the head of the bolts.

The Horn, yes I have a horn, doesn't everyone?
I bought an aftermarket motorcycle horn. Pretty load! It really gets the line boys attention after I shut down :)

Last edited:
horn drift! :)

do you need a relay to run the horn? how many amps does it draw??? that's partly what has kept me from installing one; not enought juice in my panel.
I thought perhaps one of those piezo-electric versions would be more e-friendly...though not the classic sound!

Horn - shutter

I just hooked it strait to a toggle switch. I just give it a beep-beep with the toggle.

In the winter I have my shutter completely closed a lot of the time. Temps still don't make it to 170 f.

Yes to removing the lip. I never take the cooler door off and it's been fine for 7 years. All kinds of temps and it's been fine on an O-360.

Gary

do you need a relay to run the horn? how many amps does it draw??? that's partly what has kept me from installing one; not enought juice in my panel.
I thought perhaps one of those piezo-electric versions would be more e-friendly...though not the classic sound!

Perry,

I bought/installed one of those motorcycle airhorn combos. Very loud and compact. Don't know off hand what it draws but installed it with a relay to handle the larger current, which is going to be very intermittant anyway. Power comes from the battery buss located right next to it on the firewall. If every car ever made has a horn, why not every aircraft with big propeller on the front!:eek:

One of the advantages of the amateur built category.

Bevan

no overheating issues

I ran in some very high temps, like 100 F no problems with the oil getting too hot.

If you run in very cold temps however I found that just closing the shutter was not enough to get the oil warm enough, I ended up taping in some foam to insulate the oil cooler...