Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
I would like a canopy cover for the occasional XC where there is a risk of rain while parked. Normally the airplane is hangared.

Is Van's "lightweight" cover any good, or should I spring for Bruce's cover (at twice the price)?

Flightline Interiors

Check with ABBY at Fllightline Interiors. She has a great light weight cover that packs into a very small bag. Very reasonably priced as well.

I have the Van's lightweight cover. It also packs very small in it's own bag and only weighs a few ounces. Works very well. I highly recommend it.

Roberta

I have the Van's lightweight cover. It also packs very small in it's own bag and only weighs a few ounces. Works very well. I highly recommend it.

Roberta

Same for me, fits the aircraft very well, a nice light cover and it has stayed on in some fierce winds. Very light and packs up in a little pouch. Well made, no complaints.

Hi Paul,

I have been using the light weight cover for two years now and it works great. I use it every week day all day while the plane is at Palo Alto. It ripped a couple of weeks ago but we patched it and are still using it.

A suggestion ... practice fitting it in the wind by yourself. Do it quietly somewhere where no-one can see you. The first time I tried it was on my first visit to CNO ... there I was just under the tower in the transient going around and around in circles. I just new that the bored controllers were watching behind the smoke tinted glass and howling with laughter, I would have been :D

And the best part was that once I'd finally got it fitted I realized I'd left my wallet inside the plane *doh* !!

There's a trick to it - it took me several tries before I figured it out.

g

A suggestion ... practice fitting it in the wind by yourself. Do it quietly somewhere where no-one can see you. The first time I tried it was on my first visit to CNO ... there I was just under the tower in the transient going around and around in circles. I just new that the bored controllers were watching behind the smoke tinted glass and howling with laughter, I would have been :D

And the best part was that once I'd finally got it fitted I realized I'd left my wallet inside the plane *doh* !!

There's a trick to it - it took me several tries before I figured it out.

g

Good advice above. It's like trying to chew gum, pat the top of your head while rubbing your stomach in a circular motion with the other hand while reciting the Gettysburg Address all at the same time. The crazy part is the velocity of the wind is usually directly proportional to the number of people watching.

I use Van's lightweight cover.

To get the thing on in windy conditions it's EASY. I learned this trick from Redtail (ChinoTom) who learned it from 8ball...

When you remove the canopy, just undo the rear strap, and then ROLL it forward. Roll it all the way forward until it's sitting, rolled up, on the cowling. Undo the front strap, then fold the ROLLED up cover into the bag.

When you go to put it on next time -- in the wind or not -- it's easy. Just lay the ROLL out onto the cowl. Fasten the front strap. Now just roll it back onto the plane and fasten the rear strap.

I talked to the people at Bruce's booth at Oshkosh, and the indicated that the were working on a lighweight canopy cover. No information about when it would be, but I was led to believe that it was already in the making, so should be soon. Unfortunately, I can't find Bruce's web site. Googled "Bruces's canopy covers" and received a lot of hits, but no Bruces.