yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Installed the oil tank today (P. 49-06). Step 3 says to make the oil tank vent from .062-x 3/8 104-0375062 tube. Nothing in the FF kit by that description but there is 30" of .062 x 3/8 translucent plastic tube. Used that, got to Step 7 and it says (and shows in the drawings) to put a double bend in the tube to clear the lower fuselage flange. It's plastic-- no way to put a double bend in that. Hope this is one of Van's jokes-- or else I used the wrong piece-- again!

Wayne 120241

Scratched my head for a while too....

.... I'm guessing the original material was aluminum and they changed it and forgot to update the drawing.

Hey Wayne

You don't need a bend it the PLASTIC tubing. It goes down to the bottom just fine. Any oil will drip on the lower cowl, but not a big deal.

John Bender

Hi John,
I have had a first go at routing the main oil hoses that attach to the oil tank. When they seemed to be in the right position, the drain tube has to have a 45+ degrees bend where it attaches to the oil tank. That short length of tube used as a connector seemed way over-stretched to be a long term component. What have I missed? Where did you route the tube? Was it over the mid point of the air filter?

Also, how high did you set the oil tank, ie space beteen the tank rim and the top of the curved brackets?

Any advice or photo would be very much appreciated

Rod

Hey Rod

The picture on the previous post shows it just right. I have changed mine, since I installed an oil thermostat, but that is the way I had mine initially.

John Bender

oil overflow tube

how high did you set the oil tank, ie space beteen the tank rim and the top of the curved brackets?
Rod,
That distance is about 1.5" or 4cm.
Make a permanent bend in the plastic drain hose by either heating it in boiling water or by using a hot air gun. Bend it 90 degrees and, while still hot, dip it in cold water to set it.
Joe