jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Please share your thoughts on the stainless steel braided hoses in the Van's firewall forward kit. In particular I am referring to the hoses that route from the fuel pump to the fuel pressure transducer and from the engine case to the oil pressure transducer.
From what I can tell, most are installing these hoses according to the plans without any firesleeve.
Would I gain any advantage by installing firesleeve over these hoses, or is the stainless braid safe without any additional covering?
I would enjoying hearing any thoughts and comments. Safety is my key concern.

Jeff,

When I thought of such things I kept reminding myself of how many thousands of RV's are flying around with these things installed per the plans and they aren't falling out of the sky.

However, if it makes you feel better, by all means put firesleeve on them.

I don't think the oil lines care about a little extra heat, especially the line to the pressure transducer. The reason fuel lines have fire sleeve is to help prevent vapor lock. Since there's no fuel flowing in the fuel pressure line, there shouldn't be much worry about vapor lock there.

If I didn't already have the SS fuel pressure line installed, I think I'd go with a fire sleeved line. If for no other reason then the fact that the line runs very close to the firewall.

I'm planning on putting something over the SS line near the firewall to prevent possible chafe.

If I didn't already have the SS fuel pressure line installed, I think I'd go with a fire sleeved line. If for no other reason then the fact that the line runs very close to the firewall.

I'm planning on putting something over the SS line near the firewall to prevent possible chafe.

There comes a time in the construction project, when you start thinking about all the extra "weight", that really didn't need to be. If it isn't close to the exhaust, and isn't prone to vapor lock, then perhaps it's just extra weight to haul around.

L.Adamson

Mad Magazine.

I firesleeved all fluid lines carrying flammable liquid. out of paranoia, mostly.

I remember Alfred E Newman's famous line.

"What me Worry !"

I will be using firesleeve for all but the manifold pressure line.:cool: