Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the measurements of vans green throttle/mixture cables With a section of the gren plastic removed??
I think the unaltered diameter is around 0.335.
I have gotten frustrated with trying to get stel eyeball grommets for them and have nearly decided to return them all and go with simple firewall shields over vans grommets-cheaper too!
I bought the steel gromets in .125 size thinking they could be drilled up. They can but only to .260
Purchased the .260 size thinking they could be drilled up to .335. They cant. They are at max drill already-basicly the .125 hole eyeball just drilled to max for you.
Next size is .35 which is too big.
So...Is bare cable under the protective green sheath gonna work tight with the .260 eyeball?
Is it ok to remove some of the sheath or is that a bad idea?
Thankyou..

I got the steel eyeballs at first too, and couldn't drill them large enough so went with the aluminum eyeballs and drilled them. I forget the final size but it worked out with the aluminum eyeballs.

Aluminum eyes

You can do it any of a half dozen ways. The aluminum eyeball grommets work very well. I know some want steel for the burn through rate, but the aluminum ones are solid all the way from the front of the ball to the back. If it gets that hot, you most likely will not be in control anyway. Some times the suppliers of the aluminum balls will charge less for the smaller sizes. This was true with Spruce till this year. The nice thing about them is they do drill up to the size you want. If you have a drill press, just get one a 1/4" I.D. to start with put it in a drill vice. Put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck, true the ball with it. Then run the screws that hold the ball down tight. Then go up 1/64" drill bit by bit till you get the size you wish. If you want to stop and check the fit, no problem. Take it out of the vice, check your fit and if you need to go a little bigger just re-true it with the last size bit when you put it back in the vice. OH sorry, your question. The lose fit of the green cables is about 3/8". I try to drill them 1/16" under size and clamp them into the plastic for a tight fit. sometimes 1/32" works fine. You get the idea.
Yours a always R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
Aluminum eyes

You can do it any of a half dozen ways. The aluminum eyeball grommets work very will. I know some want steel for the burn through rate, but the aluminum ones are solid all the way from the front of the ball to the back. If it gets that hot, you most likely will not be in control anyway. Some times the suppliers of the aluminum balls will charge less for the smaller sizes. This was true with Spruce till this year. The nice thing about them is they do drill up to the size you want. If you have a drill press, just get one a 1/4 I.D. to start with put it in a drill vice. Put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck, true the ball with it. Then run the screws that hold the ball down tight. Then go up 1/64" drill bit by bit till you get the size you wish. If you want to stop and check the fit, no problem. Take it out of the vice, check your fit and if you need to go a little bigger just re-true it with the last size bit when you put it back in the vice. OH sorry, your question. The lose fit of the green cables is about 3/8". I try to drill them 1/16" under size and clamp them into the plastic for a tight fit. sometimes 1/32" works fine. You get the idea.
Yours a always R.E.A. III # 80888

Bill,

I went through the same mental gymnastics that you describe but this was for the push pull cables, not the quadrant cables.
I'll be curious to know if the quadrant cables are different in diameter than the push pulls.

Here is a post with push pull data

I cut the sheath off a short section and used 0.240 diameter steel eye SE961S for my prop cable. The fit is proper with .010 clamping on the cable. When you install the eyeball, point the "cavity side" of the eyeball towards the engine side of the firewall and fill it with a fire resistant sealer to make it gas tight.

The other two cables for my IO-360-M1B install did not need eyeballs because the pass through was well positioned by the plans from Vans. I used the firesleeve and stainless flanged tube pass through for the throttle and mixture.

Last edited: