mikehoover

Well Known Member
Anybody know why Vans fuel lines are dark red at each end of the fire sleeve? I'll be making a fuel hose myself here soon and was wondering whether they are dipped in some kind of sealant or treated otherwise, and whether it is required. Thanks!

The firesleeve is dipped in sealant at the ends to help prevent the woven fibers under the silicone outer layer from fraying, and also to help keep oil or fuel from wicking up into the fibers in case of a leak. It's not absolutely necessary, but helps the longevity of the firesleeve's ends.

You can use red high-temp RTV silicone gasket goo from a tube smeared around the cut ends of the firesleeve if you make your own lines. You probably don't want to buy any of the genuine firesleeve end-dip stuff, it's horribly expensive.

hose

Mike--What kind of hose are you going to be using?
Also, the red RTV is high temperature insurance in case there is flame, or high heat nearby. The RTV can act as a "flame blocker" over the fiberglass sheath, shielding it against damage.
Tom

This EAA video might be helpful to you also.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the link. I searched for "fuel hose" and came up with "Aeroquip 816 Hose Fitting Installation."

Searched "fire sleeve" and came up with "Firesleeve-Installation & Removal."

Very informative! Can't wait to give it a try myself!

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Last edited:
End dip for firesleeve P/N 5027 $128.75

This gets you a little can of this liquid gold!!!