guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: I'm still working on my 2nd condition inspection and I have a question for the group concerning the flap drive. First, it is functioning fine, I need to know if PM is required to keep it this way? I have read and am familiar with the Van fix for too much grease in the motor, but is there a dsassembly, clean, inspect and lube procedure I've overlooked. I'm inclined to "not fix what ain't broke" mode unless the group convinces me otherwise. Thanks in advance, Dan.

Maybe?

I did mine at the first conditional and inspected for the excess grease that seems to be the common failure problem with the brushes. Mine had no excess grease or grease in the body of the motor or anywhere near the brushes. So, I no longer worry about it.
It might be worth it to look at it once rather than wait to see if a problem develops. It is your call.

Has anyone had one fail? If so, at how many hours?

Mine's at about 1060 hrs and still working smoothly. Wondering if it's time to replace it proactively at home, versus at some *other* airport!

This excess grease issue was a short period of delivered flap motors. It really has not been a big issue. That said, following the flap motor safety tie issue is mandatory IMHO. We not only tied the nut to the shaft housing, we installed a H bolt and tied the housing and nut to the bolt head. I think the newer Van's plans also show this.