aero_tango

I'm shopping around for a new 0-360 engine and came across this "new" price list from Van's:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/discount_info.pdf

The X0-360 is now at $22450.00 + you get a $1000.00 rebate on the propeller (when you buy the 2 together) .....sounds like a pretty good deal.

When you compare the prices between Aerosport, Superior and Van's, they are all about the same.

I'm currently debating if I should be better off with the "traditionnal good old" Lycoming XO-360 (the X0 engine from Lycoming is the same as the certified one) or go with Superior or Aerosport ???

I've heard a lot of good feedback from these 2 "clone" companies, but I figure that a genuine Lycoming engine might the best avenue ? :)

Mike.
RV7A

Mattitick has competitive prices also..

Mattituck has the TMX O-360 FP for $21,300 & $ CS for $21,500. They are also doing a $1,000 rebate.

As far as I'm concerned, the TMX built with ECI components is better than a stock Lyc. I'm sure the Superior and Aerosport are also excellent choices.

Mike,
I think the only thing more original when buying an X engine from Lycoming is the employee that is swinging the wrench. Go with the best deal and that includes the shipping charges and duties.
Dale Ensing

I went with a Van's new certified Lycoming 0-360 and Van's Hartzell for my 7A. I had no fitup or rigging issues using the Van's supplied engine and prop and using Van's FWF kit. I would think the X0- 360 would also be equally compatible with Van's components. It was nice having everything in the kit and not having to reinvent the wheel while building. And everything works well after three years of trouble free flying.

JMHO

Roberta

Roller tappets

One thing to keep in mind, if it matters to you, is that the Van's/Lycoming XO engines come standard with the roller tappet lifters. I don't know how much value this adds, but something to consider.
I am strugging with this same decision. Roberta makes a good point in that the Van's engines should require no fiddling to make the parts fit. But I hear nothing but great things about the service from Mahlon and the group at Mattituck, and from Aerosport Power also.
Also, Aerosport and Mattituck allow you to customize the accessories and options to suit your taste.
Decisions, decisions.
Ward

Last edited:
No doubt that the other engines are just fine. Van's has their engines built to their specifications so they know what is on them and, consequently, make their accessories to fit these engines. Sometimes their parts conflict with other engine builders certain specs. I wanted to avoid any conflict and get a "bolt together" no brainer. And it worked out well.

Roberta

Lycoming will do it for a price. At least they did in the past. Not sure what the cost is.

A side note: When I purchased my engine and prop from Van's, I was able to arrange pick up at the factories and we got a tour of Lycoming in Williamsport, PA and Hartzell in Piqua, OH. Very interesting trip.

Here's a pic of Rich in our Avalanche leaving Hartzell with our prop and engine loaded up for the trip home.

Roberta

hartzell1ob5.jpg

Last edited:
Gary Bricker

I got my Lyc from Aero-Sport. My prop from Van's.. The after sale service from Aero-Sport would be the big factor for me. When Superior had the cyl problem Aero-Sport stepped up quickly and handled it great with two of my neighbors.

I would have to ditto the excellent after-sale support from Bart LaLonde at Aerosport Power. He has been simply excellent. He (or Sue) answers emailed questions in short order. He has sent me items free of charge to try out when I have merely asked a question about something. He didn't want them back, just told me to send them along to another builder who might be able to use them. These particular items were angled, and 90 degree fuel fittings. Not exactly $.05 items. I've also had no trouble with my Aerosport engine in almost 5 years of flying.