JVolkober

Well Known Member
So, I woke up this moring and realized that when I carefully mounted my primer solenoid to my carefully crafted mounting bracket bolted to my firewall, I did not consider which port was in and which was out. So, I looked at the limited documentation and there is no indication. How do I determine which is the input port and which is the output? They say there is no such thing as a dumb question, but sometimes I wonder.

Thank you - One additional ?

I mounted it the opposite from what I intended with port 2 on the opposite side of the solenoid from the gascolater. The solenoid is mounted to the left of the gascolater as you face forward face of the firewall. I think I will leave it that way and just make a longer run of copper tubing from the gascolater to the solenoid than I would have otherwise.

One additional question, it appears to be an valve rather than a pump. Does that mean that to use it one runs the electric boost pump for pressure and then triggers the solenoid to open the valve to prime?

yes you are correct

the solenoid is downstream of the electric pump and you switch on the pump then trigger the primer solenoid

it probably does not matter

It absolutely does matter. It is a spindle valve. The side with 2 openings (look in the bore) allows fuel pressure to be applied to the top of the spindle to help keep it closed. The side with one opening (out) if hooked up as the inlet will let the fuel pressure lift the spindle. Depending on the pressure your boost pump generates it can blow through the solenoid if mounted in reverse. Not a good thing if you become dependent on the electric pump. Do not ask me how I know.

It's usually detailed in the Spruce catalog

I just installed a new one last week and the manufacturer has finally put the correct hookup instructions in the box with the valve.

Last edited:
Thanks for this posting. I just realized mine is installed backwards! Who would have thought "1" is out and "2" is in?

Last edited:
Not a "dumb question" after all

Just proves there is no such thing as a dumb question re: my initial post. This proved to be an interesting thread.

Thank all for your input.

Thats great...I went back and looked at the pic of mine and saw that I have it installed with 1 as in.

I did not have any issues when I test ran the engine even with the boost pump on. I ran it just like the pic below. No lines connected yet.

Mine is hard to turn around since I have to pull the gascollator off to do it and that is a royal pain in the rear! I have had to do that a couple times already and I said the last time that I hope that is the last time I have to do that!!!:(

314w3u0.jpg

Yeah, no dumb questions that's for sure. I would have never given my installation a second thought had you not posted.

My solenoid came with ZERO instructions. Seems like a lot of stuff I get comes like that. Thank goodness for VAF.NET!

Now I can justify the hours of reading threads. You never know when through all the misc stuff when you will find something really important.

Its a bit cold to go out to the hangar today but the new package insert looks much like the page from the ACS catalog.

Untitled_1_copy_001.jpg

Solenoid Primer Pump

I only have 45hrs on new ECI 0360. My pump went bad alreay, have no explanation. Discovered by accident. When testing brakes before taxi the engine would nearly quit when brakes applied. I assumed that the pump was leaking (not shutting off completely) it was fine with more throttle. I have disconnected it and capped the primer line. When starting I usually gave a 3-4 second prime. Not sure I will replace or just remove the line and plug the cylinders. Anyone else had this occur? This fault happened without any indication.

Deke, several years ago I found a crack in my only primer line. I removed the whole system (manual...no pump).

I start my O-360 carb engine by starting the prop turning and quickly pumping the throttle partway once or twice. Works great even when cold.

As one in favor, I still prefer the priming system. Mine is Van's standard.........connected to three cylinders. Prime for about four seconds, and engine kicks over every time without jockeying the throttle. If something goes wrong with it, I'll fix it.

L.Adamson --- RV6A