LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
This is for people who have a 7/7A and a Mattituck IO-360 engine.

Over the last year (before I mounted the engine), I've bought the hoses called out on some of the Van's OP drawings for an IO installation. Things like the VA-128 (I think, the fuel line) and electrical cables like the P16 for the contactor to starter.

I find they don't fit. I'm wondering if other have found this, too, or is this a problem unique to me.

The other problem I'm finding is a route of travel for cables such as the contactor-to-starter cable. What was your source to determine the best route? As I looked over the installation yesterday, there didn't appear to be one that made sense.

Hoses

I agree with you Bob.
I have the tmx io320 and the hoses for the most part arent going to work. In Canada we need a gascolator, so that messes things up, then I need to install the red cube fuel flow in another place fwfwd, and...well all the hoses appear to be wrong. Due to all the variations I will just install parts where I want them and measure up the distance, elbows etc required and make one purchase of correct custom hoses. I will not use hoses that are not the perfect length, it seems this is a huge pet peeve of one or two dars here.

Due to baffles, intake, exhaust runs etc...I would not hurry on this as several builders seem to install them and as parts get installed find a better route down the road. As for wiring...not there yet, I am sure that will be fun too:)

I'm listening carefully ...

..as I'm within days of ordering f'wall f'wd stuff (not the full kit) from Vans. What I'm hearing is, don't order Vans hoses.
BTW, my Aerosport IO-320 came with at least three longish silicon-fire-sleeved hoses ... and I can't tell if those are in addition to Vans "VA-xxx" hoses or duplicates. Anyone know?

Hey Bob, I have the same engine. Two of the hoses (fuel pump to Servo and Servo to Spider) came with the engine. One fit OK and one was too long. I asked Mahlon if I could exchange one of them for a shorter one, he told me to tell him the length and we traded.

The one from the firewall to the fuel pump was too long because of where I penatrated the firewall. This is a standard firesleeved hose, so I removed one of the fitttings, cut the hose shorter with a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, and reinstalled the fitting. EAA has a video of how to do this if I recall correctly.

I made my own power cables so I don't know about the fit of Van's cables.

Route them the shortest way possible while still having support from Adel Clamps. Be sure there is slack at an appropriate point for engine shake.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Hey Bob, I have the same engine. Two of the hoses (fuel pump to Servo and Servo to Spider) came with the engine. One fit OK and one was too long. I asked Mahlon if I could exchange one of them for a shorter one, he told me to tell him the length and we traded.

That brings up another -- stupid -- question. Those hoses (the brown ones?) They need firesleeve right? Where do I find that?

The one from the firewall to the fuel pump was too long because of where I penatrated the firewall. This is a standard firesleeved hose, so I removed one of the fitttings, cut the hose shorter with a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, and reinstalled the fitting. EAA has a video of how to do this if I recall correctly.

I made my own power cables so I don't know about the fit of Van's cables.

Route them the shortest way possible while still having support from Adel Clamps. Be sure there is slack at an appropriate point for engine shake.

Hope this helps.

Larry

So you are saying that the fittings on the ends of those hoses are reusable? If so, that would be nice. I have the same problem with the firewall to fuel pump hose. I've made up a lot of automotive high pressure (power steering, so no, I didn't use them on an airplane) hoses with Aeroquip reusable fittings, but they weren't crimp-on- they screwed together instead.

That brings up another -- stupid -- question. Those hoses (the brown ones?) They need firesleeve right? Where do I find that?

Bob,
I am guessing you are talking about the Aeroquip AE466 hose.
If so, then no you don't need additional firesleeve over them.

"Integral Silcone Covered Firesleeve Hose
AE401(601/AE701 Hose), AE446(AE246 Hose), AE466(666,667 Hose)
Aeroquip silicone covered hose has an asbestos free cover, which adheres directly to the wire braid to form a smooth, tight bond. The cover’s integral design provides excellent chafe resistance, prevents “internal” sleeve chafing when band clamped and prevents fluid wicking. This hose/cover combination meets fire test requirements of TSO-C53a and TSO-C75 (specific types vary with each hose style). The silicone cover has a temperature range of -65°F. to +450°F. Contact Aeroquip for detailed information."

See photo's here where you can see a damaged AE466 hose repaired with firesleeve:
http://www.saywell.co.uk/ATTACHMENTS/AE272 Flexwrap Firesleeve_revision_TF100-11_REV2.pdf

Yes, the fittings on my hose are the "screw-on" type, not crimped. The fire sleeve was banded on, I used safety wire to re install it, perfectly acceptable. EAA has a video of the process.

Larry

Yes, the fittings on my hose are the "screw-on" type, not crimped. The fire sleeve was banded on, I used safety wire to re install it, perfectly acceptable. EAA has a video of the process.

Larry

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to have a closer look at mine tonight.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures of folks' routings of hoses and cables.

I would gladly share pics of mine since my engine is configured basically the same way (180HP parallel valve Superior IO-360 w/ updraft P/A fuel injection) as yours, but I haven't gotten very far with the engine installation yet. So far it looks like my firewall to fuel pump hose is too long, and it sure would be nice if the oil cooler line that routes from the right side (looking forward) of the oil filter had a 45° degree fitting on it to better clear the prop governor cable bracket. Oh, and I put the manifold pressure bulkhead fitting on the firewall per the plans, which made the hose supplied with the FWF kit seem longer than it should be. Maybe...

Last edited:
This is for people who have a 7/7A and a Mattituck IO-360 engine.

Over the last year (before I mounted the engine), I've bought the hoses called out on some of the Van's OP drawings for an IO installation. Things like the VA-128 (I think, the fuel line) and electrical cables like the P16 for the contactor to starter.

I find they don't fit. I'm wondering if other have found this, too, or is this a problem unique to me.

The other problem I'm finding is a route of travel for cables such as the contactor-to-starter cable. What was your source to determine the best route? As I looked over the installation yesterday, there didn't appear to be one that made sense.

Bob,

Do you have the firewall forward and electricial drawings? They show where most of the stufff is routed.

Depending on which battery, and which location, the starter cable varies. the Electricial/firewall forward plans make it very easy to follow. I'm sure someone has a copy if you don't.