funflying

Well Known Member
I have a basic 2 1/4 tac from Vans, the electric type, IE TACH 3500, with a tranducer IE VTACHGEN2. On Sat, half way into a flight the tach went to 300 rpm, and there was no response when the prop was adjusted or throttle moved. Back at the hangar the instrument had power to it and using the provided trouble shooting information it appears the tach is shot and the sender is good. I installed it 01/08/07 and it seems a little soon to ****-out, but maybe not. I plan on calling Vans on Monday to get a feel for these instrument's track record, but if anyone has something to add I would welcome your thoughts. Thanks, Pat

I have a freind that went through two transducers before blast cooling the third to keep his tach up and running.

Thanks Darrell! Dale at Vans, parts guy, said he rarely replaces the instrument and if there is a failure it is the transducer. I don't know whether to trust the troubleshooting guide provide so I ordered both the instrument and transducer. I will have 60 days to return what I don't use or need. I don't thing I will waste any time and blast cool the transducer during this process.

The transducer

The new stuff had the same install instructions, but the trouble shooting guide changed. Interest. Well my transducer was bad so once tested with the original tach everything worked!! :) The new tach is on its way back to Van's.

As a side note, the new transducer was different. The shaft was bigger, and the assembly fit better. Its all good now!!

The new stuff had the same install instructions, but the trouble shooting guide changed. Interest. Well my transducer was bad so once tested with the original tach everything worked!! :) The new tach is on its way back to Van's.

As a side note, the new transducer was different. The shaft was bigger, and the assembly fit better. Its all good now!!

Good Deal! I've found Dale wonderful to work with. Sounds like maybe Van's stepped it up a notch in regards to the quality of this particular transducer.