LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I'm really pleased to pass along that Scott Risan from Van's Aircraft and I have been chatting by e-mail for the last day or so about both the RV Builders' Family Reunion BBQ (the Weds. night event) and the Van's Dinner (the Thursday night event) at Oshkosh and we have reached the conclusion that a nice, grassroots, Wednesday night BBQ in the middle of the campground with the entire goal being social fits the goals of both the BBQ organizers and Van's.

So starting in '08, these two events are being combined into one. (And I think it'll still be on Wednesday evening, but I didn't think to check that with Scott. I will tomorrow.).

The folks from Van's will be "just regular folks" like the rest of us, coming for a night of meeting each other and, in Van's case, saying "thanks" for being customers.

While there may be a few words, there will be no big speeches or presentations. And we won't impose upon the good folks at Van's to "talk shop" during this occasion (that is: no tech support, we want the Van's folks to relax rather than have this be another few hours of work after a long day of work).

In essence, the informality of the BBQ is preserved. We're able to accomodate more people, the cost of attending is lowered (I'm shooting for $7 for early registrants with kids under 16 eating free), and we all get to be one happy family, which of course, we are. Nice.

In talking (again by e-mail) with Darwin Barrie, we have decided to eliminate the door prizes. Here's why: First, it's a lot of work. Second, the vendors who have graciously donated in many cases have already contributed to the BBQ, plus they're usually hit up for door prizes on a fairly regular basis for various things anyway and with the economy going south, this seems like a good time to give them a break, at least for the night. Third -- and most important -- we don't want people coming to the BBQ to win something. We want people coming because they value a few hours on a Midwestern evening to sit around, meet some new friends, and have a good time.

Oh, and that also eliminates my way-too-lengthy speech on the back of Glenn's pickup-truck.

Van's is going to pick up the cost of the tent. We are still soliciting some cash contributions from any RV-related company that wishes to help underwrite the cost of food and drink (the actual price people pay to come doesn't cover the cost, which is as it should be), as well as the campsites upon which the BBQ is held. In exchange, you get, well, our thanks (and I'd be happy to toss a flyer or something in the credential mailing if you want). It's a non-commercial affair, afterall. (Oh, and we'd like to have volunteer T-shirts again if anyone's interested. Is there any souvenir value to those? If so, we can arrange to get some extra and sell 'em at cost. Last year I had 40 made up and we gave extras to any kids we could find.) We also would like to make a donation of whatever is left over to Young Eagles. And we'll again invite our camping neighbors to attend and eat free. It's only right.

Again this year, we'll try to do as much as possible by mail, so that there are no lines and no tickets. You'll register in advance, select what you want to eat and nametags and directions will be mailed to you in plenty of time. The cost will be $7 (a 50 cent reduction) if you register by April 30, $8 by May 31, $9 by June 30, and $10 thereafter. I'm rebating the cost of last year's BBQ to those who brought kids along, so that will be deducted when you register. I usually remember who that was, but be prepared to remind me. In any event, clearly there's an incentive for you to register early. Be looking at the usual sites for the word to register. The BBQ site is:

http://home.comcast.net/~bcollinsrv7a/eaa/

The reason we stress pre-registration is because we want to be sure we have enough food and drink. Last year I only had to make one beer run. Whew!

Again this year the menu will be brats, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, potato salad, cole slaw (I'll order wayyyyy less than I did last year. You folks don't appear to like cole slaw as much as I do), chips, beans, tossed salad, dessert, beer, water, soft drinks, lemonade. Watermelon? I've never been able to get many watermelon customers, but I'll try again. And it'll be all-you-can-eat.

Last year we capped attendance in registration at 350. We ended up at about 500. We'll have to be really careful this year with the growth rate; the goal is to keep the "vibe" of a cookout. On the other, we've never turned anyone away.

If you've never been to the BBQ, I hope this is the year. If you've attended before, well, it is called a "reunion."

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Regards,
Bob Collins

(Cross posted at multiple locations)

Bob, like I said on the RV-7 list, things wont be the same if you don't give a speech from the back of my pick-up! :D

I can see the headlines!

"Van And His Army (or is it Air Force?) Take Over Camp Scholler!"

This year - the campground....next year, all of Airventure!!

This really seems to me like it'll be a great event Bob - I don't think I'll be up there this year, and now I'm really sorry I'll miss it....

Paul

We'll send you some Corona. I don't think this will result in a significant increase in attendance. I think a lot of folks went to both events. The net effect maybe that it opens up a free evening at Osh to fill in some other manner.