ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience with the DC Load Center with toggle switches from Vans? (page 92 in their 2007 catalog)
How durable is it? Any problems during use?

I'm planning to install it since it seems to greatly simplify the wiringjob on my VFR day/night RV-7.

I'm also thinking I might install it within a plastic box or something to protect it from shortening.
Example:
You're doing aerobatics and during negative or 0 G-maneuvers, the pen you earlier lost on the floor floats up, hits the board and shortens it. (Murphy's law)

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway
Wiring

Hi Alf,

This is just my own opinion of course, but if all I was doing was a day/VFR airplane, I wouldn't use anything as complicated as a load center for my electrical system. The basic wiring for a battery/alternator/radio and light electrical system (with either fuses or circuit breakers,take your pick) is so rugged and reliable that I can't imagine adding electronic components that count as additional failure points to complicate matters. Even though some folks consider the Val to be "complex" with several splittable busses and backup battery and alternator, there are virtually no electronics involved in the power distribution system - just good old switches, wires, and a couple of relays....and if I could figure a way out of using the relays, I'd do it, because they have more parts.

Once you start adding circuit boards and itty-bitty components and solder joints, I worry about reliability, and understanding what might fail.

Paul

I had one of these on my last airplane. I would not install one again.

mcb (new airplane has switches and fuse blocks)

100 hours, no problems

However, I would not install again as I have a much better understanding of my electrical system needs and would design my own next time. It has worked fine with no problems and saved me time on the intall. Pezio(sp) fuses are extremely reliable technology and I have not heard of anyone having any failures with their load centers.
As always, you will hear a lot more responses from those that dont like something than those that have no problems. Kind of they way these forums go.
I know of several others flying with the load center with many more hours with no problems or issues.

1000+ hours

However, I would not install again as I have a much better understanding of my electrical system needs and would design my own next time. It has worked fine with no problems and saved me time on the intall. Pezio(sp) fuses are extremely reliable technology and I have not heard of anyone having any failures with their load centers.
As always, you will hear a lot more responses from those that dont like something than those that have no problems. Kind of they way these forums go.
I know of several others flying with the load center with many more hours with no problems or issues.

We have over 1000 hours on this system.

Works as advertised.

Used the external contactor mod as opposed to their onboard relay.

We have rocker switches, not the toggles.

James
RV6, O-320

my exp2 buss experiece

I have the EXP2 Buss in my VFR 6A. It basicly works as advertised, though I'm experiencing intermit circuit interuptions on the strobe and nav lights. I don'nt know if it's the "breakers" or my wiring. In retrospect I would have gone pure Bob Nuckles (sorry, sp.?). the bus board didn't save any wiring really, and in my case, if the fuses are malfunctioning I'm screwed having to unwire the whole thing to get repairs. Buy Bob's book no matter what you do, it's a great reference, and if you're already an electrician you can debate him on his philosophy, which I gather is one of his hobies.