prkaye

Well Known Member
I went with Vans' FWF kit. The throttle and mixture cables have a very smooth action (although mine came with the plastic knobs a little scuffed and banged-up... oh well).
The other two generic cables that are used for carb heat and cabin heat, are strange. The rigid rod at the top portion of them at the knob-end that slides in and out is not smooth... I'm nut sure what word to use - almost like a wide flat thread along this portion (pic below). Because of this, when you use these knobs, they don't slide smoothly... feels like a clicking or ratchety action when you move push and pull the knobs. Is this intentional? Why are they designed this way?

Mine do the same thing, I think it's so you can get fine throttle control for your lawnmower...that's where they look like they came from!! Actually it's so the control will stay where it was intended just a lot cheaper to make that cable and less precise than the veener controls for the prop and engine.

As already mentioned, these are ratcheting cables to keep the knob where you set it.

These type of cables are used in quite a variety of airplanes.

If you use the cheap and smooth operating cables for your cabin heat or oil cooler control they will vibrate closed. the clicking noise or feel is normal and will hold the cable in the position that you set it during flight.