bobmarkert

Well Known Member
Is the Garmin G3X able to read the fuel quantity using the Vans capacitance plates? Tanks are done and plates installed. Was originally going Dynon (with their adapters) but now taking a second look at the G3X.
Bob Markert
RV8 Fuselage

I originally had a Grand Rapids EIS4000 engine monitor with their Princeton capacitive fuel quantity transducers in my RV-7A. When I converted to the G3X the Princeton transducers worked perfectly. Garmin's capacitive fuel quantity algorithm gives a very accurate linear fuel quantity display.

Is the Garmin G3X able to read the fuel quantity using the Vans capacitance plates?

Yes, as long as you have a sending unit that outputs either a frequency signal or a DC voltage. As mentioned, the Princeton capacitive converter box works well, as do other units from EI, Westach, and Skysports. Click here for a previous VAF thread where additional details are discussed.

- Matt

Bob,

I recommend that you get the Princeton capacitive converters that work with Van's plates. Get the one you can adjust the span on the input to get a good signal for the EMS system to read.

The Dynon converters are not sensitive enough to the small change in capacitance provided by Van's plates empty to full. This causes the voltage output from them to only vary a tiny amount compared to the range available. Dynon did not provide a way to calibrate them or to change the span on the input so the end user is stuck with what they gave em.

The voltage only changes 0.4 volts empty to full on my RV7 with Dynon converters. Many others have reported similar numbers. The range available is something like 0-5 volts.

The Dynon calibration routine even has problems with this because the change is so low between calibration points that the system does not think you added any fuel between steps of the calibration process. I am sure that other EMS systems have similar issues with this small change.

When I move to the G3X, I will be changing to the Princeton converters.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I had read the posts on the Princeton capacitive converter but I thought it went inside the tank. Ill research them today.
Thank You
Bob

Princeton also makes capacitive senders that do go into the tank.

They also make a converter box that does the same thing as the Dynon converter only better. It is better because you can calibrate the input to the actual capacitance change of your tank in order to utilize the full range of signal output to the EMS system for best performance.

You have to call em as they do not have a website that I am aware of.

Here is the info I have. Not sure if it is current:

PRINCETON CAPACITIVE FUEL LEVEL PROBES
3133 Madison Ave, Wyoming, MI 49548 (616) 243-8800

I think they are in the same building as GRT.

Capacitance value?

Does anyone happen to know the capacitance value of the full and empty tank with Van's capacitive senders?

It is hard to get a true number since the test equipment required to get an accurate reading is very expensive.

However there have been some people post results on here before measured with typical gear us normal folks can afford. Will have to search for it though.

Edit:

Several post seem to indicate that around 170-180pf when empty.

Last edited: