Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Anyone have any good pictures of the canopy safety latch Vans includes with the newer RV-4 finishing kit? I think I get what they want you to do, but a picture or two would be great.

Although I like some of the other ideas I have seen on the other thread, I'd rather just see how to install the safety latch Van's sells.

Thanks . . .

me too....

I think I have it in a box somewhere but don't even know what it looks like :). I might actually install it if I did.

John

Rick, your query tweaked my interest. The canopy is the next major item I am coming to shortly.

I pulled the bits and the plan out, and I am surprised VANS describe it as a safety latch. The way it works is no more than it is a third point where the canopy is released, when you work the handle. In the sense that if the other two failed it is I agree a safety latch, but I really do not see what the advantage is. (The same logic would dictate a third wing.) Is it commonly used do you know? Perhaps I have missed the point. I think I will look around for pictures of what others have done.

What benefit are you hoping to get from it.

I'm with you. Before looking at it I assumed it was designed to hold the bubble down in the event that I forgot to set the latch. Unfortunately, it only functions if you DO set the latch. I left it out.

latch

I posted a thread on this topic several months ago and received some good replies. Most builders are not installing it. I finally decided to omit the factory issued safety latch and move on to other assemblies. A true ?safety latch? is a worthwhile feature but the factory issue version falls a little short. Personally, I felt my time would be better spent on a good canopy taxi position mechanism. Lots of photos have been posted previously on that.

Off the thread topic?.. I could really benefit from a weekend RV4 construction class to go over the basics of firewall forward installation. I?m nervous about drilling any holes in the stainless FW. The builder manual is really a disappointment once the canopy is finished. All of the other RV models have at least some basic guidelines for penetrating the firewall and routing control cables, heat, etc. Sorry for steering this post toward my own builder insecurities. Just felt the need to blab.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

RV4 canopy latch

Wally,
I live on Bainbridge Island, Washington

You have probably never heard of this place. It's a 35 minute ferry ride northwest from Seattle's waterfront. Essentially a suburb of Seattle. I fly out of Bremerton International Airport.

IL is a long way to go but a good idea.

Thanks for the thought.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers - RV4 - working on panel.. soon the firewall forward

Steve,

I asked a buddy of mine who has a four, and he has the latch installed. I guess (using your analogy) I would say instead of "a third wing" it's more like a third bolt holding the wing on.

I guess I could see it coming in use if one of the two rods holding the canopy down were to fail. Truth be told, I thought about this possibly happening even before I knew I had the latch kit (I found the latch kit while going through some of my parts).

I think I'll install it to be on the safe side.

Canopy safety / taxi latch

This is what I have finally done. It is not as pretty as I would like, but it certainly provides a third locking location as does the VANS safety latch, but also provides a taxi position.

Some pictures here , and if you double click them they get larger.