rwtalbot

Well Known Member
Recently I had an email exchange with Vans about a second aircraft I acquired. During the course of this exchange it became apparent that they had determined my first kit was flying by downloading the Australian aircraft register from CASA (Eq of US FAA).

The catch is that the aircraft never flew under the tail number they quoted to me. In my case I am certain my kit flew several years after Vans determined the first flight occurred. Here in Australia it is not uncommon for kit owners to register their "mark" in order to reserve it ahead of time.

To be fair, Vans openly admit they do these sorts of things. I just had not considered that they might have done so in my case.

My conclusion is that it is fairly likely Van's completion numbers are overstated to some extent - at least in this part of the world.

On the other hand, Vans numbers are somewhat understated because in the US, a builder can call the model anything he choses. For example, my airplane is an A&M-6. It is the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel. I personally know of quite a few examples of this practice.

Last edited:
My conclusion is that it is fairly likely Van's completion numbers are overstated to some extent - at least in this part of the world.

A while back, I spent some time pulling registrations for RV-10s from the various international databases and found quite a few more flying aircraft that Van's reports. Van's count is currently 572 RV-10s. My count (last updated maybe 6 months ago) was 646. Only 33 of those were from Australia. I counted 324 in the US and 254 in Brazil. If the Brazilian registry shows non-flying aircraft, then I could have overcounted those.

Mel is right about the models. For USA registrations, I found the model registered as RV-10, VANS RV-10, RV10, VAN'S RV-10, VANS RV 10, RV 10, VANS RV10, RV10A and VANS AIRCRAFT RV-10. Anything registered as "JOHN SMITH RV-10" I wouldn't have found, so I'm sure there are more than 324 registered in the US.

On a quite regular basis, Van's finds out about an airplane that has been flying for quite a while (often when the owner calls about purchasing tires, etc.)

My aircraft is currently on the Australian register as VH-YRT, and is close to completion but has not yet flown. Therefore registering a mark early can be misleading. However reserving a mark does not register the aircraft. It simply reserves the three letter sequence and expires after 12 months unless it is renewed.

My aircraft is currently on the Australian register as VH-YRT, and is close to completion but has not yet flown. Therefore registering a mark early can be misleading. However reserving a mark does not register the aircraft. It simply reserves the three letter sequence and expires after 12 months unless it is renewed.

Works the same way in the USA.

However reserving a mark does not register the aircraft. It simply reserves the three letter sequence and expires after 12 months unless it is renewed.

Yep, but the reservation costs money every year and expires. If you just register the aircraft you do not have either issue.

Can someone confirm

I think Van only counts those that call them and say it is flying. I do not believe they going looking at registrations. If this is indeed true then vans numbers are defiantly conservative.

Did ya' hear the one about the Aggie DAR who.....

Oh, wait a minute, I'm not in Texas anymore - I don't have to do Aggie jokes! :)

Did ya' hear the one about the Aggie DAR who.....

Oh, wait a minute, I'm not in Texas anymore - I don't have to do Aggie jokes! :)

Wait a minute. I resemble that remark!
I know the difference between a real pilot and an Aggie pilot.

A real pilot breaks ground and turns into the wind.
An Aggie pilot breaks........or something like that, I forgot.