g zero

Well Known Member
Getting my paperwork in order , I have a builder number , tail was purchased from a private party , fuse and wings were purchased from Vans . Cowl , engine ,canopy ,wheels , wheelpants , seats ,panel etc..purchased elsewhere .

Do I need a bill of sale from Vans to register my plane ?

If so does Vans email it to you ?

Bill of sale

Yes. Call Vans. They may have your submit something first like a notarized form.

You get a bill of sale from the person who sold it to you. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just who sold what to whom and the usual stuff like when etc. You can provide that document to Vans (and/or any other documentation of the sale) and they will assign the tail kit to you, and that becomes your builder number. I wrote up a bill of sale with both the seller and buyer names, the kit/builder number and a description of what was being sold, the date and amount paid. That covered all the bases and then some.

Vans will have a form that you'll sign, along with the standard liability waiver stuff. As was already said you'll probably need to get the assignment form notarized when you sign it (unless you happen to be at Van's when you sign, then they can witness directly your signature - but since you're in Florida that may not be too likely hah).

When you go to register your plane, Vans provides the necessary paperwork, assuming all of the above has been done. They told me the tail number kit/builder number is the one that identifies the plane (regardless of where and when the other kits were obtained).