APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I used the Vans baffle kit and have a question regarding the two dams on the forward fin surface of cyls 1 & 2. The #1 cyl has the dam extending from the ramp to the top of the cyl fins. The cyl #2 dam is about ?? lower than the #1 and has overall less area. I don?t know why Van has two different configurations for the two forward cylinders. Also the ?old timers? who monitor my building advised by to cut the dams down to mid cylinder height.

I?m getting within days of ?first start? and I?d like to solicit any/all comments on this topic.

Thanks,
Don

One side of the engine has the exhaust valve side of the head facing forward, and the other side has the intake.

Exhaust side of the head runs hotter.

A tip for you, make the dams attach with nut plates, not rivets. Easier to remove and trim them, than to try trimming them on the engine.

And, if you need to add a little back, just replace the dam.

No one standard

I used dams exactly as they came in the kit and my temps were fine until I replaced my cylinders at about 275 hours (ECI AD). With the new cylinders, both front cylinders ran hot with #1 being the hottest.

I cut the dams down a bit at a time until I had them off all together.

So if you already have them riveted in place, I'd say leave them and see what your temps are. If you haven't riveted them in yet, I say put them in with pull rivets so you can remove and re-install more easily.