roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Anyone else here having problems with all their backorders?
Van markets the fwf kit so you can get everything and not have to seek out other items which you may have forgotten.

Here's my backorder list
throttle cable, why would they keep that in stock?
FAB, you gotta be kidding me
exhaust system, there must be a big run on these
hardware kit that contain all your restrictor fittings.

It's just really frustrating when you're geting this close and prepare to start making a run and you get this list of backorders.
When you call them, they don't seem to know when it's going to be filled. Just excuses about other vendor problems.
It's bad enough that it takes them several days to package an order to ship but having now to deal with the backorder list of key items.

All I can say is that you have to plan far in adavnce on these last items.
How does Aircraft Spruce provide same day shipping?
They maintain their inventory!

Last edited:
I understand your frustration - I hated it when ANYTHING slowed down my building - and I build FAST!

I think what we're seeing is a result of the incredible success and popularity of Van's kits, and yup, they are going to have to figure out how to cope. Unfortunately, things like the exhasust systems and FAB's probably are made essentially custom by small shops, and they are probably overwhelmed too....

Oh, to be so successful in business...

My advice? If you are like most builders, you've got a list of those things that you hate to do that are still sitting there in the corner...like, ahhh ... fiberglass? Better get on them while you're waiting for other stuff to show up! Not fun, but you can't fly till it's ALL done... ;)

Paul

I agree with Paul. You've got to roll with the delays and hiccups. At the later stages there are always a dozen things to work on. For example, cowl and baffle. That'll keep you busy for a while.

I got my FWF kit a few months back and it was complete. In fact, nothing from Vans has been back-ordered that I remember.

Dave

Unfortunately, companies have to make trade-off decisions between high levels of customer service (i.e. low stockout rates) and prices. This is because inventory is expensive to hold. Typically, inventory costs between 20% and 45% of its cost to carry for a year. So an extra $100K of inventory to protect against stockouts would cost anywhere from $20K to $45K per year. And, guess who gets to pay for that?? :)

Van's and Aircraft Spruce have different business strategies aimed at different target markets. AS has high availability of a wide range of parts at a relatively high price. Van's is not as responsive, has a narrower product line, and is relatively low price. Of course, there will be more stockouts and longer waits for parts from Van's.

It is still frustrating, I know. I have this problem everytime I go to WalMart and stand in their long checkout lines to get their low prices. :)

Yup sources get backlogged and Van's can only pass that on. A recent thread several week ago pointed out the Vetterman's exhaust has a backlog of several months - Van's source for the FWF exhaust.

Jekyll

Working on the cowl or baffle would be great but you need an exhaust system and FAB before you can move to those tasks. That's my point. Don't offer a fwf kit when you can't ship complete.

Davepar said:
I agree with Paul. You've got to roll with the delays and hiccups. At the later stages there are always a dozen things to work on. For example, cowl and baffle. That'll keep you busy for a while.

I got my FWF kit a few months back and it was complete. In fact, nothing from Vans has been back-ordered that I remember.

Dave

exhaust ,filtered airbox

you don't need those to fit the cowling and baffling..
if fact you most likely don't want the pipes on for those either.. I am fitting my cowling (it needs to be done before the baffling.. because you need the bottom cowling per instructions and plans, and you can't fit the bottom without having fit the top 1st..
I am waiting on Alternator and cables but those can wait, if the engine is on its not going to be any fun drilling the holes for the throttle and mixture , carb heat cables , you can finnish up the wiring and do some pannel work if those are holding you up..

Danny..

Playing The Game

I also know the pain. I started work on my tail kit and after two weeks I ordered the wing kit. The tail kit was finished up in six weeks and I still had to sit on my thumbs for eight more weeks before my wing kit arrived. I contacted Van?s and told them they should have their customers order the wing kit two months before ordering the tail kit. I ordered the fuselage kit shortly after the wing kit arrived and I ordered the finishing kit as soon as I started the fuselage. You just gotta play the game.

Roger Ping
RV-9 77 hrs

Patience

Jean-Jacques Rousseau said:
?Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.?
I ordered everything in September, IIRC. Finished the tail kit by the end of October, thanks to the Alexander Technical Center. The the rest of the kit arrived in February. It seemed like a long wait at the time, but not so bad now.