sf3543

Well Known Member
On my first flight, I had a problem with my VAN's 60 Amp alternator over charging. I was upset and figured I needed to spend the cash for a new one, since I bought this one second hand.
But, I remembered that "gmcjetpilot", George, had posted a few threads about alternators, so I asked him for his opinion on a better alternative.
He provided several possible paths forward, but one was to go ahead and fix it! Since I didn't want to have to take off the prop to change belts if I went with a different alternator, not to mention possibly wiring a new plug, I decided to try and fix the one I had. So, I gave it a try and it ended up being easier and cheaper than I thought.
In my case, the alternator was pushing out 17 volts, so I located a local starter/alternator place in the yellow pages. George had provided the replacement parts numbers for the voltage regulator. They are...Regulator part numbers and cross ref: NIPPONDENSO part #'s: 126000-0410; 126000-0411; 126000-0470 or Transpo part #: IN219
They could have the part, for $39.88 plus tax, by the next morning, so I ordered it.
Next day, I took in the alternator and had them put it on the bench. Sure enough, bad voltage regulator.
Once I got everything home, I laid the alternator and new voltage regulator out on the bench. To get at it, you have to remove the 3 nuts holding on the cover and loosen the main power lug to take the metal cover off. The Voltage regulator comes off by taking out 5 screws, which are obvious. This also removes the brushes. While you have them off, you might as well clean them, too. Replace the old parts with new and reverse the process. Done in about 15 minutes, all told. (Note: The alternator shop would have done this for me for a nominal charge, but there is no real need for that.)
It is now back on the plane and faithfully churning out 14.5 volts, as it should.
If you ever run into this problem with your alternator, I would recommend you at least take a shot at fixing it yourself. With a little assistance from someone like George, you don't need to understand everything about how these things work and you can save quite a few dollars in the process. Besides, you might actually learn a thing or two.
Thanks, George!

Good work

sf3543 said:
Thanks, George!
Hey you are quite welcome, but you did the work. I am glad to help in any little way. Thanks for taking the time to share. I am sure it will help others. Cheers, now go fly that plane and enjoy. Cheers George