szicree

Well Known Member
I spent today putting together the aileron trim gadget supplied by Van's, but haven't finalized the installation yet. I'm hoping to get some PIREPS from you folks first. Does this thing actually work?

Yes

It works very well. Usually I keep my fuel burn fairly well balanced but when It is off I can just move the lever left or right to compensate and it takes care of the lateral imbalance. Off and on I keep trying to figure out a way to do something like it for the rudder.

Bob Axsom

Okay Folks!
I have the same set up in my RV-9A and I don't find it very effective at all. I can move the handle from side to side and the plane moves very little. I also find that it "creeps" back to a neutral position. What am I doing wrong and you folks are having good luck with yours? I am just about to rip it all out and put a tab out on the aileron actuated by a servo.

TIA
Peter :confused:

You need more friction on the shaft. Tighten up the hardware.

Mine has worked fantastic for the past 1,840+ flying hours. Would not want to fly the airplane without it.

Mine has lots of friction. I can fly the airplane with it if need be.

Gary

Peetie the Pilot said:
Okay Folks!
I have the same set up in my RV-9A and I don't find it very effective at all. I can move the handle from side to side and the plane moves very little. I also find that it "creeps" back to a neutral position. What am I doing wrong and you folks are having good luck with yours? I am just about to rip it all out and put a tab out on the aileron actuated by a servo.

TIA

Try more spring preload

Peetie the Pilot said:
Okay Folks!

TIA

You might want to also tighten up the preload on the two springs. You may not be putting enough force on teh stick with the amount of preload you have. A small movement makes a pretty big change on my 9, so it does work.

You need very little tension on the springs and the friction lock bolt needs to be tight. The springs should be just tight enough so the sticks move in unison with the trim lever and adjusted so that they all center together. Too much spring tension tends to pull the trim back to nuetral and defeats the friction lock.

My has been fine for two years.

Roberta

Just need some clarification on how long the springs should be under tension. I checked mine today and they "grew" 1/2" with ~.062 spacing between the loops. They certainly don't feel very tight!! I have tightened the shaft in the nylon block but not yet had chance to go flying to see if the system has improved.

Thanks
Peter :)

I'm not sure I've got this thing built right. How do I adjust the spring tension? My plans (really more of a heiroglyphic) show the springs attached to fixed points on the airframe. Any pics would be great.

Hmmmmm....

szicree said:
I'm not sure I've got this thing built right. How do I adjust the spring tension? My plans (really more of a heiroglyphic) show the springs attached to fixed points on the airframe. Any pics would be great.

Steve,

If it is the same as on an -8, then I am afraid I've got bad news for you....the springs don't attach to fixed structure, they attach to a tube that slides back and forth to bias the force left and right. Maybe the -4 is different, but at least I think I understand your confusion - if they are attached to fixed structure, how could they be adjustable - right? :confused:

Paul

Paul,
Actually, there is a little lever on the stick that adjusts the bias one way or the other, my concern is over the total spring tension. It seems as if folks are saying that the overall tension is adjustable. :confused:

Spring Adjustments

On mine the spring tension can be adjusted by stretching it to reduce the tension or cutting it off to increase it.

Bob Axsom

Thanks Steve - I guess it IS different from the -8....I think I understand yours now (which doesn't help you of course...)

Paul