wrongway john

Well Known Member
I tried getting this answer through Van?s through e-mail, but it has been a few days, and still no answer. Figure some knowledgeable 4 guy might know and could get a faster answer here.

I understand Van?s gives you several options with the spar: either unassembled, or for a bit more a completely assembled anodized spar. I would prefer a completed spar, but do not want it anodized. I?ve read all the pros and cons on this elsewhere before I decided this.

Does anyone know if Van?s is flexible with this, or are those the only two options with the spar?

Parts of the spar need to be primed or anodized before assembly. If you want an assembled one from Van's it would have to be primed and I'm not sure they do that sort of thing. It's worth mentioning that the modern spar parts are all predrilled and assemble very easily, so you might consider putting it together yourself.

Vans never actually offered pre-assembled RV-4 spars, but if the customer requested it, they would drop-ship the spar components to a company called Phlogiston, who would anodize and assemble for you. According to the current order forms, this service is still available.

I don't think a primed (non-anodized) assembly by Phlogiston was an option. There was some concern that anodizing reduced the fatigue life of the spars. Someone one on the Matronics forums long ago calculated that the life was indeed cut by 50%.... from 50,000 hours to 25,000 hours; a hit that many folks were willing to take to get Phlogiston to set all those -6 rivets. Like most other "big steps", the anticipation of setting these rivets was worse than the operation itself. If you really are set on a non-anodized spar, get yourself a c-frame tool, a 3-lb hammer, some knee pads, and have at it.

Miles

Thanks guys. Van?s aircraft happened to contact me today as well, and they confirm what you guys say. I appreciate the fast responses.