McFly

Well Known Member
File this in the ?I should really know this already? folder.

The speed performance numbers on Vans site, are they TAS or IAS? I just want to see how I am doing compared to the mother ship benchmark. Many thanks.

Kit manufacturers are always going to use the numbers that sound the best.
That's why you see MPH and TAS. Also IAS would not be comparable between people in Flagstaff and people in Death Valley.

Mel said:
Kit manufacturers are always going to use the numbers that sound the best. That's why you see MPH and TAS.
Therefore I would use standardized units like km/h... RVs would go then even "faster". :p

Mel said:
Kit manufacturers are always going to use the numbers that sound the best.
That's why you see MPH and TAS.

Not just kit manufacturers...I've known a few others that just like to quote the bigger numbers! Last month I dropped in on a Grumman fly-in at Galveston, to say hi to a few old friends from that world. One of them is a well-known modifier and "speed demon" who is always challenging people to race. His little AA1 is modified with a whole lot of cleanups, a tailwheel, and a big engine that might be operated just a little on the high side of the manufacturers recommended RPM limits (if you know what I mean...).

So anyway, I see him coming and tell him that I am finally ready to race. He looks at the RV-8 and and asks "gee, do you think you can do 180?" with a smile....(that's what he claims for speed with his little machine...not bad for an AA1!)

"Well, yeah, I think I can probably do that ..... and oh! You do mean knots, right?!!" :cool:

His smile slowly melted as he decided that maybe he should find someone else to race...

Paul

Cirrus too......

Ironflight said:
So anyway, I see him coming and tell him that I am finally ready to race. He looks at the RV-8 and and asks "gee, do you think you can do 180?" with a smile....(that's what he claims for speed with his little machine...not bad for an AA1!)

"Well, yeah, I think I can probably do that ..... and oh! You do mean knots, right?!!" :cool:

His smile slowly melted as he decided that maybe he should find someone else to race...

Paul

Very good, Paul. A friend of mine owns a 2001 Cirrus 22 and wants a ride in my 6A. I coyly suggested a race for the "Pinks". He quickly declined admitting that I'd probably win. :D Don't really know if I would but it'd be close. I manage 204 MPH solo.

Regards,

Ironflight said:
Not just kit manufacturers...I've known a few others that just like to quote the bigger numbers! Last month I dropped in on a Grumman fly-in at Galveston, to say hi to a few old friends from that world. One of them is a well-known modifier and "speed demon" who is always challenging people to race. His little AA1 is modified with a whole lot of cleanups, a tailwheel, and a big engine that might be operated just a little on the high side of the manufacturers recommended RPM limits (if you know what I mean...).

Paul
Paul,
That wouldn't be Gene Plazak would it. He was in the Dallas EAA Chapter while he was doing the tail dragger STC. That was more than a few years ago.

Pirkka said:
Therefore I would use standardized units like km/h... RVs would go then even "faster". :p
Hey, you're right. Then economy cruise on my -6 is around 300 klicks.
Hope I don't have to go to 12' numbers.