DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...if you didn't know already.

Subject: First Flight

On April 1, I flew my new personal RV-10 for the first time from my home on Sunset Airpark in North Plains, OR. Built in about 18 months with major help from brother Jerry, who will share flying privileges. The engine is an AeroSport Power IO-540-D4A5 with a Hartzell Blended Airfoil prop. The panel holds an Advanced Flight Systems AF-3500 EFIS/AOA, a Garmin 396, Garmin transponder, Icom radio, Digiflight II autopilot, PS intercom?and that?s about it. Lots of bang-for-the-buck, with plenty of space left over. Empty weight is just 1590 lbs, so there?s a lot of useful load available. This is my first "homebuilt" airplane in many years, and it has been great to experience (once again) all the frustration, exhilaration, anxiety, euphoria, rage, etc. that seems integral to homebuilding. I can now relate better to those who have built or are still building. Buy some more bandaids and keep plugging away!"

the ORIGINAL RV grin

Dick VanGrunsven,
North Plains, OR.

Did everyone notice his empty weight?
Take note!
Congratulations, Dick.

frustration, exhilaration, anxiety, euphoria, rage, etc. that seems integral to homebuilding. I can now relate better to those who have built or are still building. Buy some more bandaids and keep plugging away!"

And I thought I was the only one suffering like this. Good to see the man from the top going through the process again and still coming out with the RV grin!

I'm aiming to be under 1590. :eek:

Mel said:
Did everyone notice his empty weight?

Congratulations, Dick.

...and the 'chute :) Actualy, as a skydiver, I bet the -10 is pretty easy to bail out of, but its going to be hard to miss that elevator :(

Van's RV-10 Empty Weight

Way to go Dick and Jerry.

My RV-10 came in at 1584 lbs but I have an MT prop which is 18 lbs lighter than Van's Blended Airfoil. Comparing an RV-10 with an MT vs. a Hartzell is like comparing apples to oranges. Deducting the MT advantage, Van beat me by 12 lbs, probably in the panel as I went with a full IFR panel.

In addition, my -10 was weighted and flown prior to painting and install of carpet and Flightline custom side panels. My guess is that if I did a re-weight that Van would probably beat me by closer to 20 lbs or more.

Just goes to show you that the old jedi master can still show us padawan how it is done.

Inverted

G-force said:
...and the 'chute :) Actualy, as a skydiver, I bet the -10 is pretty easy to bail out of, but its going to be hard to miss that elevator :(

There's an easier way. On my first P-51 ride, my boss said, "If everything goes to h***, we'll be upside down with no canopy. Just fall out and pull the ripcord."

Regards,