Larzi

I'm New Here
Hi ,
My alternator just quit prior to my two days trip to Megeve (France)
I’ve checked on van’s shop and they provide a new version for 999$!!!
Do you have any cheaper option that would fit the same bracket of the old van’s alternator?
Does the new version fit the old bracket ?
Thanks
Mathias
F-PAPS RV6 o360

My apologies as I don’t know the resources available to you. Will/can an alternator shop/auto electrical repair place not fix the product? It is. It’s likely something simple; the vr?

It’s not a 1987 Suzuki Samaria. I already tried that, the case looks exactly the same but it looks like vans machined the case to fit their bracket and the mounting holes are drilled larger. Also the pulley on the samurai is forward another half inch or so which seems like the case offset is slightly different on the samurai. Good news is in a pinch you can take the guts out of the samurai alternator and put them in your vans alternator and it works fine. Ask me how I know.

Also they can’t tell me who makes their alternator they only know the supplier based on their internal notes. They also can’t send the alternator alone without the kit. I called and asked.

Thanks for the answers, I will try to open it up this afternoon to check if there is anything easy to fix and I will go to my car mechanic.

Hi Mathias, let me know if you get stuck - I have a spare alternator that might work. Also, perhaps check on the Vans Club de France mailing list - there might be someone near you that can fix yours or lend you one.

https://vansclubdefrance.fr/

try this model

Try a 1996 Honda Prelude. Often is is the voltage regulator which if you take the old one out, the part number is on the old part.
I had one rebuilt at a local auto electric repair shop.

For those wondering why the 87 Suzuki Samurai alternators don’t always fit, I researched this a long time ago. Basically, the alternator mount(s) we use have the alternator mounting “inside” the ears on the mount, so the outside of the alternator legs are controlling the fore/aft position of the alternator on the engine. On the car engine, the INSIDE of the legs are used to position the alternator fore/aft - so the “controlling surface” when it is machined is different.

I have had three alternators on my bench at the same time, all of them specified for a Suzuki Samurai, all with the same Lester number - and all of them different in terms of where they put the pulley relative to the Lycoming flywheel….if they even fit on the mount. I was able to make all of them fit with a little machine work, which you can do in the shop, but on a ramp at some random airport!

paul

For those wondering why the 87 Suzuki Samurai alternators don’t always fit, I researched this a long time ago. Basically, the alternator mount(s) we use have the alternator mounting “inside” the ears on the mount, so the outside of the alternator legs are controlling the fore/aft position of the alternator on the engine. On the car engine, the INSIDE of the legs are used to position the alternator fore/aft - so the “controlling surface” when it is machined is different.

I have had three alternators on my bench at the same time, all of them specified for a Suzuki Samurai, all with the same Lester number - and all of them different in terms of where they put the pulley relative to the Lycoming flywheel….if they even fit on the mount. I was able to make all of them fit with a little machine work, which you can do in the shop, but on a ramp at some random airport!

paul
Took me a moment, but now I get it - thanks for the explanation, Paul!

Seems like a biz opportunity to for someone to make some mounts that use the same basic method as the autos...