RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
So, just because I could, during annual inspection I decided to switch valve cover gaskets (Lycoming says to pull the valve covers and inspect the rockers at 400 hours, and I'm almost there, so what the heck). Plus, as with all Leakcomings, I get a few drops here and there from around the valve covers over time. I got the fancy-schmancy rubbery silicone (or whatever) ones recommended to replace the antiquated cork gaskets.

After pulling one cover, and dealing with the brittle, caked-on, cooked-on cork gaskets, trying to remove all of the old gasket...well, it's now an experiment...I replaced ONE gasket, but am loathe to do all four at this time (let's see how the new one works on that cylinder).

But meantime...anybody have an easy (or at least easier) way to remove the old gasket material? It came off the cylinder mating surface fairly easily, but was a booger to get off of the cover. Suggestions?

Get a can of gasket remover from an Auto parts store. It is also a good paint remover so be careful with it. You can spray some on a piece of card board and apply to the cover only where needed with a Qtip.

Rubber gloves are recommended. Glasses would not be a bad thing. keep some water around to wash it off if it gets on you.

The silicon gaskets are great. The biggest reason for them leaking seems to be people over torqueing them.

You can clean the gaskets with lacquer thinner or even some Dawn dish soap and water. You want them and the mating surfaces clean and oil free before installation.

Good luck,

John

Use a wire wheel on a bench grinder it will come off easily

Second that.
Also, make sure you flatten the flanges. The screws compress in the cork and bend the flange around the holes. The silicon gaskets don't compress as much and need a very flat flange. Watch your torque. They don't take much.