mchargmg

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am considering getting a Nav 2kr to go into my 6a that has a GRT sport EFIS. Wondered if anyone else out there had that combination. Does running the Nav radio through the EFIS work ok?

I am thinking of doing this so I can work on my IFR ticket in my plane. I do realize the VOR/ILS is getting phased out, but I am not ready to put money down on getting a new panel with a GPS navigator yet, want to delay a bit. Was thinking maybe the Nav2kr might be an in between step that at least lets me get the training done. I can always get a Garmin 625 later on when I upgrade the panel if I figure I actually want to go IFR capable. For now it can't hurt my VFR setup to add the 2kr.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Geoff

Sport with Nav

Jim,

You may be correct, it was not really clear to me. This is one reason I posted to see if anyone had actual experience with the sport and the 2kr.

Geoff

GRT has no plans to allow the VAL NAV-2KR to be remotely controlled by the Sport units. I've spoken to them a few times inquiring as to why not, and requesting that the feature be added, but they claim that it can't be done because of a lack of available buttons and knobs. Not an excuse I buy.. because I think you can integrate the-2KRs with the Horizon line, which is physically the same as the Sports.

We know that they work, and work great with the HXr line.

I installed a NAV-2000 and have it talking to the Sport in my Long-EZ and it works great.

Chris

Hi all,

I am considering getting a Nav 2kr to go into my 6a that has a GRT sport EFIS. Wondered if anyone else out there had that combination. Does running the Nav radio through the EFIS work ok?

I am thinking of doing this so I can work on my IFR ticket in my plane. I do realize the VOR/ILS is getting phased out, but I am not ready to put money down on getting a new panel with a GPS navigator yet, want to delay a bit. Was thinking maybe the Nav2kr might be an in between step that at least lets me get the training done. I can always get a Garmin 625 later on when I upgrade the panel if I figure I actually want to go IFR capable. For now it can't hurt my VFR setup to add the 2kr.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Geoff

I don't think it is a waste. While VORs are slowly going away, I don't see ILS's going away any time soon. I would expect the airlines or pilots union to lobby pretty hard for this. Even if the airlines migrate to GPS approaches in low conditions, they'll want a backup and likely fight hard for it. Remember, WAAS is dependent upon sat availability, as well as ground stations (two points of potential failure). I am not an expert in these matters, just observations.

EDIT: as I think about that, it would still make ILS's at class D airports, where we usually go, at risk of decommissioning.
Larry

GRT has no plans to allow the VAL NAV-2KR to be remotely controlled by the Sport units. I've spoken to them a few times inquiring as to why not, and requesting that the feature be added, but they claim that it can't be done because of a lack of available buttons and knobs. Not an excuse I buy.. because I think you can integrate the-2KRs with the Horizon line, which is physically the same as the Sports.

We know that they work, and work great with the HXr line.

I installed a NAV-2000 and have it talking to the Sport in my Long-EZ and it works great.

Chris

It works with the HXr, not the HX. A radio tuning interface would be clumsy on the Sport or HX because there aren't enough buttons. This is the whole point of the HXr, which has dedicated controls for remote avionics. The remote transponder control interface on the Sport requires a lot of button presses. (Too many, in my opinion). A radio interface would require more functionality yet, with frequency, squelch, volume and probably an intercom function.

The panel mount Nav 2000 would be a good choice, however. (Check with GRT to make sure it will work first) I loved having the SL30 nav/com paired with the Sport as a backup to GPS. I used it to get home from Florida once when the GPS went on the blink.