Joe

Well Known Member
Wanting to add ILS/VOR approach capability to my VFR RV-8A ...

I'd like to hear from anyone using a VAL Avionics NAV 2000 with a Dynon SkyView running modern firmware (v14 and later). I know there were some compatibility issues a few years ago but assume they're behind us now. I can ask VAL or Dynon but I'd prefer actual user experience.

My setup is limited to a single 10-inch SkyView and a Bob Archer-type Nav antenna in a wingtip.

Thanks,
Joe

I have used the 2000 but have looked in to it. The problems were with the remote version.skyview had no way to tune it. That has been fixed. The remaing problem with the remote unit is no way to control the volume on the ident. The non remote version works fine with skyview.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

I have the panel mount Val nav 2000 dialed in with my Dynon skyview. They work great together. With the panel mount you can tune radials with the unit or using CRS function on ththe Dynon. You can also adjust the volume on the unit if needed. My only aha is that it will not monitor the standby VOR, but that is minor.

Thank you, Bob and Ryan. Yes, the VAL Avionics compatibility chart shows "limited" compatibility for the NAV 2KR and the volume control Bob mentioned is one of the issues.

Ryan, I noticed SkyView can set its HSI's bearing pointers to indicate the VAL 2000 standby VOR but that's the extent of the functionality. In other words, it's labeled "NAV200SB" but doesn't point at anything as far as I can tell. Like you, I consider it minor.

For those scanning the archives at a later date, here is my experience.

Since I my original posting three weeks ago, I have installed and ops-checked a NAV 2000 in my RV. This is the unit Bob refers to as the "non remote version". The unit he refers to as the "
remote unit" is the NAV 2KR.

My NAV 2000 interfaced to power and ground, a
Garmin GMA 240 audio panel, and a serial port on my Dynon SkyView EFIS (7 wires in all). Setup was straightforward and exactly as documented in the VAL and Dynon docs. The NAV 2000 has a single antenna input and apparently my homebrew Bob Archer clone antenna in a wingtip is adequate on Glide Slope as well as Localizer because I was able to intercept and fly an ILS with no difficulty. The autopilot even couples to it and I'm a (mostly) happy camper.

I still need to ponder these two issues:

1. The unit locks up during cranking and requires power to be removed and reapplied. For me this means recycling the Master Switch as I don't use an Avionics Master but this is one device that would benefit from one.

In fairness, the battery voltage drops quite low during cranking with my rear-mounted battery. In addition, this radio is on my Endurance Bus (for no reason other than that's where I had a spare fuse
) and that drops the voltage even lower.

2. I could hear FM radio station interference on one nearby VOR. I don't know if this is due to a spurious response in the NAV 2000 or a spurious output of the FM station but it didn't seem to affect the VOR operation.

I don't know why there aren't more of these flying. This was a relatively inexpensive (just over $1k at Aircraft Spruce) and easy method to add IFR capability to my SkyView-equipped RV.