After I upgraded my iPad 4 to OS8 now VAF looks funny with adds all over the place where they didn't use to be. While typing this I cant access all the options for posting pics and other stuff like links. Below is a link address to see a screen shot of my problem. Does anybody now how to correct this problem? Thanks

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy270/Jetguyii/211e3985c0ad4c8e36b2bb9882ce8ce5_zpsca3b79fc.jpg

Suggest you do a system reboot on the iPad. In case you don't know, hold down the large home button and the small top button UNTIL the white Apple appears on the screen.

http://m.wikihow.com/Reboot-an-iPad

Last edited:
Suggest you do a system reboot on the iPad. In case you don't know, hold down the large home button and the small top button UNTIL the white Apple appears on the screen.

http://m.wikihow.com/Reboot-an-iPad

Suggest you read the Wikihow article you mentioned. Pressing and holding both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button on the top does a hard reset. It is sort of like pulling the power cord on a computer, or pressing and holding the computer power switch. It doesn't give the device a chance to shutdown applications gracefully, saving any state info, but it may be the only option if the device is unresponsive.

You do a normal shutdown by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button on the top. Hold it until you see a slider "slide to power off". Release the Sleep/Wake button, slide the slider, and wake while the iPad closes any applications and does a graceful shutdown. After it shuts down, press the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds to start it back up.

Suggest you read the Wikihow article you mentioned. Pressing and holding both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button on the top does a hard reset.....

Right Kevin, but a doing a soft reboot isn't going to reset Safari. When installing a lot of new apps I always do a hard reboot. YMMV

Right Kevin, but a doing a soft reboot isn't going to reset Safari. When installing a lot of new apps I always do a hard reboot. YMMV

Actually, Kevin is correct - a soft reboot is all you need (speaking as an iOS app developer). Both hard and soft resets will end the Safari process; the hard reset won't allow the system to shutdown cleanly however.

If you want to reset Safari, why not use the means Apple has provided in the Settings menus? Settings -> Safari -> Clear Cookies and Data. A hard reset should only be needed as an absolute last resort. I wouldn't suggest it as a first step.

Not to get into a religious discussion here but there is no such thing as a "hard reset" on the Apple products. The soft reboot that Chief and others have described by holding the 2 buttons does not do any damage to the device or apps on the device. I can go into the "whys" but this is a forum for RVs :) . Unfortunately I know more about this than I do about RVs :rolleyes:

Not to get into a religious discussion here but there is no such thing as a "hard reset" on the Apple products. The soft reboot that Chief and others have described by holding the 2 buttons does not do any damage to the device or apps on the device. I can go into the "whys" but this is a forum for RVs :) . Unfortunately I know more about this than I do about RVs :rolleyes:

This is at least somewhat relevant to RVs, as many people use iPads as EFBs.

I'm curious - when you do a normal shutdown, the iPad spends many seconds with the little busy indicator spinning away before it shuts down. When you press and hold both buttons, it shuts down immediately. What is the operating system doing during a normal shutdown? If these actions are not useful, why would Apple have the OS do them?

Did you have your iPad set up with an ad-blocker by any chance? If so, maybe that's not starting up. You may be used to seeing the page without ads and now are getting the ads that everyone else normally sees?

Not to get into a religious discussion here but there is no such thing as a "hard reset" on the Apple products.

Actually there is a hard reset available for the iPad... but it involves the use of a sledgehammer and a credit card. :p

Rebooted, cleared all cookies and history. Now everything is working great.:) Thanks for all the help.:p

VAF Forum on iPad2 running iOS8

After I upgraded my iPad 4 to OS8 now VAF looks funny with adds all over the place where they didn't use to be. While typing this I cant access all the options for posting pics and other stuff like links. Below is a link address to see a screen shot of my problem. Does anybody now how to correct this problem? Thanks

211e3985c0ad4c8e36b2bb9882ce8ce5_zpsca3b79fc.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy270/Jetguyii/211e3985c0ad4c8e36b2bb9882ce8ce5_zpsca3b79fc.jpg

Here is how VAF Forum looks on my iPad2 running iOS8.

As others said, I suggest turning your iPad off and back on. If that does not work, try a reboot then contact Apple.

Rebooted, cleared all cookies and history. Now everything is working great.:) Thanks for all the help.:p

Even an Apple product needs to be rebooted every couple of years. ( still much better than a couple of hours/days! ) :D