rv7boy

Forum Peruser
IMG_0793-1.jpg

A few photos from my trip to Plattsburgh, NY area last week. Check out KPBG :cool:
It's a Former B-52, KC-135 and FB-111 base that is now leased to the city and county. How about an 11,700 foot runway with 122.7 Unicom and no control tower? A great place for a touch and go contest!

http://picasaweb.google.com/rv7boy/PlattsburghVAFPhotos

Don

P.S. I found two Lake Placid RV-ers in Doug's VAF White Pages but I didn't have time to contact them. Maybe next time.

P.P.S. Another meaning for "VAF" could be "Vespas Are Fun!"

Last edited:
A few photos from my trip to Plattsburgh, NY area last week. Check out KPBG on AirNav.com :cool:
It's a Former B-52, KC-135 and FB-111 base that is now leased to the city and county. How about an 11,700 foot runway with 122.7 Unicom and no control tower? A great place for a touch and go contest!

http://tinyurl.com/5h844c

Don

P.S. I found two Lake Placid RV-ers in Doug's VAF White Pages but I didn't have time to contact them. Maybe next time.

P.P.S. Another meaning for "VAF" could be "Vespas Are Fun!"

I fly into both P'burgh and Lake Placid with my RV-4 a few times/yr as they are quite close to home plate, 1C3.
Had I known you were flitting through-- :D

AND, that scooter got me grinning. In my hangar is a 1984 Honda Elite I am almost finished re-building to serviceable condition. ;)

I wished you'd gotten pictures of the airport

I was stationed there in the 70's, as an avionics tech on the FB111A. I wonder if I'd still recognize anything. It was a small city at the time. It's hard to imagine it gone. I wonder what they did with the underground alert bunkers and all that other stuff that used to be so highly classified. Probably public housing now. Just hard to imagine.

Plattsburgh, NY Airport

I was stationed there in the 70's, as an avionics tech on the FB111A. I wonder if I'd still recognize anything. It was a small city at the time. It's hard to imagine it gone. I wonder what they did with the underground alert bunkers and all that other stuff that used to be so highly classified. Probably public housing now. Just hard to imagine.

I was part of a Youth Mission Group from our church and we stayed in a dorm that was formerly BOQ housing. There were three buildings; ours, in the middle, was named Champlain Hall. I don't know if that was the name during the Air Force years, but we were told that the buildings are now dorms for Clinton Community College whose main campus is several miles away. If you are familiar with it, there's a former resort hotel just east of KPBG overlooking Lake Champlain. We visited there too and were told that is now the main campus for the community college.

Near our dorm was a "round-a-bout" which I think our country needs more of. I think some people call it a traffic circle. There are two static displays there...one is a B-47 and the other is an FB-111. We were told they were moved from the west side of the street to the east side during the last year.
Honestly, we were so busy that we did not have time to go over to KPBG. We plan to go back. Good people. Beautiful sites...but of course for this southern boy, it'll be cold in the winter months so when we go it'll probably not be during cold weather. It was very hot and humid when we were there last week, actually about the same as the weather in Alabama when we returned home.

Jon, maybe Skyhook can make some photos since he will probably be there again before I can return.

Don

Last edited:
Donald, when I tried this the pictures were blank.

Hans

Try it again, Hans. I changed the album link from a tinyurl link back to the longer link.

Don

P.S. Here are the two VAF "sightings" photos...

IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0800-1.jpg

Last edited: