ArmyDad

tmp3934wr1.jpg

tmp1825ss0.jpg

Vans Air Force shirt sighted at the Mt. Dora Observation center at the DMZ in Korea. I was there last week visiting my daughter and son-in-law, who are serving our country in the US ARMY. They are stationed at Camp Humphreys, Anjong-Ri, South Korea. Please join me in wishing them and all of our soldiers throughout the world a very Blessed and Merry Christmas.

Bernie Ockuly ( L.G.I.T.W.)
RV7A N914E 262 hrs, 570 landings, 424 rolls, 1 heck of a grin since 9/11/05

Last edited:
Bernie,

No one can view these photos unless they join the Ohio Valley RVators Yahoo Group. You may want to copy them and host them to another location so that others can view them.

Wishing all of our Armed Forces Personnel a VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY!

:)

-Jeff

Last edited:
Great photos Bernie; tell them thank you for me.

Wishing safe flying for all those soldiers out there and Merry Christmas.

My Uncles served in Korea and all they ever say is-- "It was Cold and Muddy.'

Rv 7a
240 hrs. since 2/06
20 rolls :)

I have been to Camp Humphreys many times. In May of 2005, while on a training flight to Humphreys, one of the engines quit on my helicopter (UH-60A) and I flew approximately 45mins on one engine in mountainous terrain to the airport there. While on final approach my one good engine gave me a chip light on the input module gearbox. The emergency procedure is to retard that engine to idle and land as soon as possible. I wasn't about to retard the one engine that was keeping me flying. I landed at Humphreys without further incident and was happy to be on the ground.

During my first tour to Korea(5/99-5/00), I flew my Blackhawk helicopter many times along the DMZ. Ironically the area was called the no-fly zone, however we flew in the no-fly zone all the time. Go figure! My second tour to Korea(9/03-9/05) had me stationed further south in Daegu (Taegu) near the port city of Busan. I liked Korea so much, I stayed two years and married a wonderful woman from Daegu. I returned to America in Sept 2005 and am now stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. I have to take a small vacation to Afghanistan for a year beginning in January. But, when I return in 2008 the wife and I are looking forward to either a tour in Japan or Korea for a couple of years. Then it is off to retirement!

Glad you enjoyed visiting with your daughter and son-in-law! I hope you had a wonderful time in Korea. The tour along the DMZ is an eye-opener! Most people don't remember the history associated with it or that the North is still a dangerous nation!

Take care,

Michael

Michael,

THANK YOU, SIR !!! for your service to our country. My hat is off to you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially during your deployment to Afghanistan. My oldest son is also a SPC in the Army, presently stationed at Bagram AFB.
My very best to you.

Bernie Ockuly
RV7A N914E

ArmyDad said:
.... My oldest son is also a SPC in the Army, presently stationed at Bagram AFB.

I will keep my eye out for your son when in the Bagram area. My unit will have aircraft all over that country and I am sure that I will run in to him. One thing I have learned being in the Military: It is a small world!

I saw the Korean writing in the pictures you posted and couldn't resist sharing some of my own experiences. I truly had a good time flying over there and I am looking forward to going back sometime soon.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Michael