flion

Well Known Member
A short while back, the subject of badges to help us to recognize each other at fly-ins and such was raised and I offered to upload a template I created, pending permission from Doug to use his logo. Well, he gave it, so let's move forward. Below is a picture of what I put together; it's intended to be used in a lanyard-style badge holder.

DSC00956.jpg

I've made a Word template which you can get at http://www.flion.com/media/VAF Badge Template.dotx. It's rough and probably needs some kinks worked out. You should be able to right click on your avatar, select copy image, and then past the image right over the logo placeholder in the template. Things may go awry with pictures, though, as I found the picture I used did not print well and the sizing may prove to be an issue. However, that part of the badge can always be ignored; it's a back-side image anyway. There may also be some font size issues with longer names or VAF IDs. But I'm sure we can work them out and the price is free. I'm also not sure how this will work on Mac Word or older versions. And, finally, you may need a different size format. I used a common lanyard holder but there are others or you may want to use a pin-on holder that's a different size. If I get enough requests for different sizes I may make a series of templates and a web page for downloads. Like I said, I'm just getting started with this. So, try it out, give me some feedback, and maybe we'll start seeing these (and each other) at events.

Patrick:

I am one of the many that is not using Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010. Can you save your work in Word 2003 so that those of us that refuse to upgrade every time something new comes out?

Patrick:

I am one of the many that is not using Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010. Can you save your work in Word 2003 so that those of us that refuse to upgrade every time something new comes out?

But, it's been five years since 2007 released! :rolleyes: Thanks, Bruce, for the OpenOffice tip, but I suspect that he (and others) will not want to install that anymore than they want to upgrade - and I can't say I blame them. I'll add an early-version version to the list.;)t

Edit: Ok, backwards compatibility bites. I can save the template as a W97-2003 template but it strips the forms (of course). However, Word 2010 apparently does not offer the ability to add the old-style template tools back into the document. In other words, I need to have an old version of Word to create an old-style template. I can offer the raw template to someone with an old version who is willing to add the forms controls; it looks like the layout is unchanged. If you can help, email me, [email protected], and I'll send you the template file.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, OpenOffice can read and write Office 2003 formats (and earlier) and the modern formats as well. If you're using Word 2003 and occasionally get frustrated by someone sending you a newer version file, you'd be better off ditching Word entirely and going with OpenOffice. For 99.99% of users, the feature set is identical, and the price can't be beat.

Hey Walt,
I'll buy one of those T-shirts if you have a batch.

Thanks for the support Tony, the wife had a few made for me to bum around the airport in so I don't have any extras, but I'll send you one from the next batch :cool:

I Found the art for the back of my 'badge'... :rolleyes:

badges-we-don-t-need-no-stinking-badges-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2gif.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I think that a polo shirt with only a logo/name as appropriate on the left breast area is much classier...not that "classy" is a term used to describe the way I dress.