DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Rod Bower (n180rb 'at' aol 'dot' com) sent me one of the sliding canopy latches that he supplies to Van’s a few weeks back to see if I could evaluate it. As you know I have a tip-up and can’t use it, so I asked Rob if I could give it to my RV-6 slider buddy Ross to evaluate (yes). Turns out Ross has a carbon fiber canopy frame and we couldn’t figure out a way to make it fit, so (with Rob’s permission) I’d like to offer it up to the RV community at large for free.

Pic of the actual latch:

latchjp3.jpg

Pic of it in use (from Van’s site): http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/catalog/cat-med_canopy-latch.jpg

Before you reply….
The person that calls dibs on it agrees to use it for their slider-equipped RV and to write up a review of sorts for the site (and for Rob). It doesn’t have to be long. If your situation changes and you need to sell your kit, try to pass the latch in the same fashion.

Please don’t reply if you’re not building a slider and just hope to sell it on eBay. Kinda defeats the karma aspect of all this :).

Van’s sells the latch for $90 and you can see more information about it HERE:

Description from the Van’s site:
“Latch for sliding canopies on RV-6/7/8/9. Installs on roller weldment, requires hole(s) to be drilled in roller track. Prevents canopy from opening all the way, especially useful on RV-8s where the canopy may not be reached when the pilot is strapped in. Spring loaded pin allows one-handed operation.”

I waited to post this until all four major time zones in the US were in sunlight and ‘at work’.

First qualified reply gets it, and I’ll spring for shipping (again with the karma).

Good luck!

Doug

ps: Watching the time stamp of the first reply....should be quick I hope.;)

Last edited:
I will

I will try it , RV9A slider , painting now so those parts are removed
now, I primered side skirts yesterday.. final topcoat this next weekend

Danny..

Address

Danny Lawhon
14010 River Rock
Corpus Christi, Texas

put your return address on the package
I need to pay for VAF subscription

also, were do I send the write up ?

Danny...

On its way!

You can just email me the text whenever, or post it in the 'Reviews' section of the forums, or whatever you're comfortable with.

Thanks again!

b,
dr